• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Clearwater Walleye

Hello,

I normally fish Clearwater for Bass, but am looking to do a little Walleye fishing there this week. Does anyone out there have any tips or pointers on where to find them that they would like to share. Not looking for anyone to give up their hotspots ..unless they want to :-). Just need some general ideas on where to look. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Steve

Work the same weedlines you normally do for bass, but work deeper, say 13 to 20 feet. I usually drag cranks, but jig/worm/leech/minnow also work. The walleye are scattered, but definitely weedline oriented. Once in a while you'll find a small pod of 'em, but mostly they're singles. And you'll get a lot of northerns mixed in. I came home with a couple today. If the wind permits, working with a jig & minnow, slow trolling with an electric motor and fishing more or less vertically can work. Or casting parallel to the weedline works. Personally, I usually troll cranks and I get my fair share of 'eyes. I haven't had much success working the stereotypical rock/sand areas...mostly because there aren't that many that don't have a healthy weed growth. I've been fishing this lake for over 40 years and the wallies have been weedline fish for me all that time. And watch for big arches on your sonar in 25' of water. Could be wallies, could be carp. Oh, there is a lot of weedline out there that hasn't been very productive of walleyes for me and I'm sure not outing my favorite stretches! But go to work on the weedlines and you'll get 'em.

Here's a couple of other things:

Work the weedlines at sunrise and sunset and, as you would expect, you'll find walleye. A lot shallower than you might expect, too. However, don't ignore the middle part of the day. There is a midday pattern along the weedline, even in this heat, that gives up walleyes consistently from 10am through 4pm. And, the wind is your friend. Work the windward side of structure, if you can. The wind makes working this lake very tough! That is, the wind combined with milfoil clumps that jump up out of nowhere. Ah, the bright sun in your eyes, a crooked weedline with coontail and milfoil plumes coming up out of the depths, trying to watch the depth finder and also maintain visual contact with the weedline, with the glare and the chop... Oh, and all the floatin' weed chunks from the weekend warriors churning up the shallows. Hey, bass fishin' on Clearwater is a whole lot easier!

Most of the walleye you'll get by working fast along the weedline are the smaller male aggressive biters, 14 to 20 inches (the ones we should be harvesting). Try working deeper and slower and see what you get.

This is a very tough lake to fish successfully. If you can bring out a couple wallies each time you go out, you definitely know what you are doing. And please take a picture of the 6-9 pounders and then let 'em go...too big to eat, too small to mount! Keep the 22 inchers and smaller, let the big ones spawn. (22" is about 4#).

Here's a novel idea: use a jig and minnow/leech/waxie and see if you can find big perch, 8" and up. I find 'em mostly over muskgrass, both deep and shallow. The guys in Michigan would die for a nice bunch of big perch. Good eatin'!

H20, Thanks again for the advice. That's some great info. I can tell that you've obviously fished this lake many many times. I'm planning on spending the entire day out there Friday, so we'll see what happens. Your right, bass fishing out there seems alot easier! crazy.gif That's the tough thing about Clearwater, it's such a great fishery. It's tough to focus on just one species. Oh well, that's a tough dilema to have huh? cool.gif

Thanks again for you help. I'll let you know how I do!

Steve

Oh, and don't worry about the big ones. If I keep anything it'll just be a couple small eaters....the big ones just go in the photo gallery!! grin.gif