• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

cannon river

floated the cannon on sat 30 july and caught alot of small mouth, one sauger and a bunch of channel cat and lots of ruff fish. my buddy hooked into a 21.25 inch smallie what a nice fish. i was wondering has anyone done any good for walleye or is it a pick one here or there while fishing for other species? just wondering would like to get into some. we floated from cannon falls down to the miesville park. maybe the better walleye water is further down stream. any input would be great thanks.

We used to catch a lot of walleyes at Meisville, probably 2 years ago. It's been slow this year and last. Early last year was great, before all the rain. I don't know if it washed them all down, but if it did they have been slow to return. Biggest we caught out of there was 25.5", and a bunch in the 17-22" range. Like I said, though, it's been a few years since we've had any consistent results. (Caught a 15 lb flathead there, too!).

Best spots we've found are at the Meisville park. I like the side across from the park because there's more shoreline, but there's a drop off on the park side that holds more fish (or used to, anyway).

Another spot to catch a bunch of fish is down at the dam on Byllesby (sp?). Bring a bunch of cheap lures and tackle if you go there, cause you're gonna lose a bunch. Lots of fish to be had, though.

thanks for the info. i have always heard there is a great walleye population in that river. maybe they are talking about the spring? but, at the miesville park how were you getting the wallies lindy's, jigs, cranks? just wondering for next time thanks

Mostly cranks. Storm thundersticks (bigger ones), shad raps, original raps, and even crawlers on the bottom. Lots of junk fish on the crawlers, too (suckers, cats, bullheads, sheepshead, buffalo, carp).

i've always had good luck with the bronzies on the cannon too, a real nice river this close to the cities

i think i will give it a shot on sat. if anyone is interested. i heard of another spot besides the dam that i want to try right in cannon falls, i'll probably try a little later cause i hear it gets kind of crowded by the dam on weekends