• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've got a friend that wants to fish the St. Louis tomorrow. Will be putting in at Loon's Foot. Any thing going on that you could talk about that would help us out? Will fish for anything that bites.

Thanks

Mueller

Fishing has been tuff the past week or so. So many different winds and rain etc. From what I have found lately the windy shorelines in 10-17' of water have been best. I havent caught many fish on the flats until the last hour of light.

The upper Clough Island area has been ok. Fish the weedlines in about 10' of water early and late.

Also some fish in the deeper spots below Oliver Bridge. Troll some spinners til ya find some active fish then either drift a jig or lindy rig it. Leeches have been going well and minnows are starting to come on.

I will be camping with my kids at Jay Cooke next week. Does anyone ever fish in the river around the park? Are there any places that I could try to catch some smallies or anything else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

No place in the park. Go down towards Fondulac and the 23 bridge. Park in the park above the bridge. Walk the boardwalk up river and at the end there is a trail. Follow for about 200 yards or so and you will see some of my favorite shorefishing spots on the river. Toss just about anything out and hang on. Smallies all over that rocky shoreline. There are about 6 good spots to fish and you will probably hook a eye or two and maybe a Northern or Muskie. Be carefull because its snag city. I have donated a few hundred jigs in that stretch as well as 2 anchors. frown.gif

Thank you very much for the information. My kids have never tied into a smallie before. If we do any good I will post some pics. Thanks Again.

smile.gif

I wouldn’t necessarily count out the river around the park. There are actually a fair amount of smallmouth around that area. Some of the better spots require a bit of a hike so that would probably be out with the kids and all but there might be some pools nearby that could hold fish.

• 2 weeks later...

NORTHLANDER, THANKS FOR THE TIP. I GOT TO THE LOCATION AND IT WAS JUST AS YOU SAID BUT THE END OF THE BOARDWALK APPEARS TO HAVE SOME ICE DAMAGE AND WAS FENCED OFF.

WE ONLY BROUGHT 4 BEEETLE SPINS WITH US SINCE THE FISHING WAS ONLY A SMALL PORTION OF THE TRIP, SO YOU CAN GUESS HOW LONG WE FISHED UNTIL WE WERE OUT OF LURES.

STILL, I HAD A NORTHERN BITE ME OFF RIGHT NEXT TO SHORE ON MY FIRST CAST AND THEN A ROCK BASS ON THE SECOND. WE MOVED DOWN AND EACH OF MY KIDS MANAGED A SMALLIE BEFORE THE ROCKS ATE THE REMAINDER OF OUR BAITS.

THE KIDS HAD A GREAT TIME WITH THOSE TWO FISH. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFORMATION; I WILL DEFINITELY BE BACK THERE AGAIN. I WOULD THINK THAT IF I COULD CATCH THAT MANY FISH THAT QUICKLY FROM SHORE, I WOULD HAVE A GOOD SHOT AT DOING WELL FROM A CANOE OR BOAT. smile.gif

I told ya those rocks are hungry up there. Ya that walkway is ruffed up but you can get threw the woods easy enough. Slip bobbers for the kids will work and get them fish and less donations to rocks. Also try a shallow running crank or stick. Manns A-minus is a fav.