• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

cedar lake launch (hennepin)

Does anyone know if its ok to launch a boat there? By that i mean drive your boat and back it up. not canoe boats where you can just carry it to the water.

I can't answer that specifically, but I do know this: The DNR website states "carryin possible through public land maintained by MPLS park and rec. dept. I also know that unless regs have changed, you can't use a gas motor on any MPLS lake, and you need a special park permit to use an electric motor.

There is no launch on Cedar.. you have to launch on Calhoun and go from there unless your carrying a small boat in(canoe).

NO PERMIT is needed for trolling motors on the city lakes.. that was done with many years ago.. it is electric motor only.

Yes there is a launch at cedar. Its right where that fishing dock is to the right of it. Concrete ramp but i dont know why

there is a chain up wont allowing ppl to launch there.

Yeah on the Cedar launch.. you can hop the curb, drive through the open park(grass area), then run the big steel cable down... If your not arrested by now, and your boat will still float.. go fishing.

Other than that, launch at Calhoun.

They use that launch when they put the big milfoil cutting machine in. I don't know how everyone else feels about that thing, but I think it's the biggest waste of tax money & causes more problems than it solves. But that's another topic. - Vern

Vern.. I disagree with you...

* It causes more problems than it solves*

THere is actually a problem it does solve?? I guess it keep the weeds from hitting the surface for a week.

Just to think that our tax dollars are not well spent.. look at all the nice electronic pay boxes and meters they paid for around the city lakes.

All im saying is that its stupid to not let the public use that launch because its in a park. The pat that leads down to the dock is a dirt road wide enuf to fit a trick and boat to launch. Isnt there some guy on here that works for the DNR maybe he can do something about it.

Senko, personally I'd rather not see that launch opened up. The lakes are getting busier all the time & Cedar is the quietest of the three. I'd like to see it stay that way. These lakes are too small to add more large boats & pressure. As far as the milfoil goes, it's not going anywhere & the bass don't seem to mind. My short take on the milfoil cutter is this:

1. I think it mulches bass fry. I've seen lots of fry balls in that shallow milfoil every June & I highly doubt they get out of the way in time. Not to mention all of the other species. I'd like to see a study done on that.

2. It uproots the plant & just spreads it even more. I've spent way more time unwrapping 15' uprooted strands from my prop than I would've just driving through it. That stringy uprooted stuff is tough to keep off the prop.

3. Waste of money. For a city with so many "budget issues" it seems like a waste to run that thing 7 days a week to benefit a few recreational boaters. There's plenty of deeper water on the chain to boat around that stuff. Are we going to chop these weeds forever?

I really miss the old days before we had the milfoil but we're stuck with it now. In my opinion people just have to learn to live with it. I've adapted & the fish are still biting. - Vern

p.s. Those parking fees are a joke. I bet 5% of the people in those lots actually pay or have a permit.

Vern I agree with most of what you and FDave are saying. One thing people, including DNR scientists, don't think about is the possible long-term reduction in Phosphorus and Nitrogen in the lake sediment. The weeds act like a pump...taking up nutrients from the sediments in Spring, and pumping them back into the sediment before winter. By continually harvesting vegetation in the peak of growing season, we are removing significant quantities of nutrients from the lake eco-system!? Perhaps in the near future we will see less vigorous week growth and clearer water? This scenario has always intrigued me...I almost wrote my Masters thesis with this in mind (instead had to settle for Zooplankton--bummer). It would be nice to see a study or analysis of the sediment nutrient quantities/qualities over time. In fact one may exist...and I should shed my laziness and do a search! tongue.gif

senko, I heartily disagree. Cedar is a nice psuedo-wild experience in the shadow of downtown. Put a ramp there & the traffic would increase massively. Cedar's a great, quiet place to put in a canoe. How many lakes can you say that about in the Twin Cities? Not many.

Other than that, see Vern's post. grin.gif

there are guys keeping an Eye around there too. I bought a couple of the rental canoes they auctioned off a couple years ago. I put in over there on cedar which is fine, but shortly after I saw some guy standing on shore stareing at me with bonaculars an then started yelling or asking questions. that was in spring before they start renting canoes.my canoes still have rental on them, and I think the guy was stupid enough to think I was going to stop fishing an paddle all the way over to him an explane what I was doing with one of there canoes. But all in all it is best for that lake that it dosnt have a public launch because it is a peacefull lake an for some reason most fish would rather be in the other two.Evan after being stocked in cedar many quickly migrate over to LOI or calhoun. The lack of fish an the toll on trolling electricity keep it that way. it all adds up to one more battery inthe boat. grin.gif DOES ANYONE HAVE OR KNOW ANYONE WITH EITHER ONE OR A SET OF TWO BACK TO BACK BOAT SEATS FOR SELL? tongue.gif