• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Getting Ready for Dove Season

USPENAMC

Anyone here going out for dove season?

What Part of the state?

Will you bring a dog?

what type of ammo are you using?

type of weapon?

what is your approach?

I'm going to try and make it out a couple of times. I have a 1 1/2 year old lab, I think it would be good for her, good practice sitting still in the blind, good practice retrieving. I've been working up a 2 acre food plot for deer, I've been noticing doves around there, I think I'll set up in the tall weeds along the edge. I'll use trap load, 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

Last year three of us used a big dirt pile as cover in a harvested soybean field, and it worked well. I used 10 dove decoys, 12 gauge 1100, and 8 shot, camo, and no dog.

They are very fast birds but come down easily!

Yep cant wait! Set up on the edge of a small grain feild sit an wait.Light game loads 8 or 7 1\2 work well. I might try the .410 see what I can do? good luck!

Had a blast last year and going to do it again.

I set up by a pile of dirt with a tree next to it, next to a pond. 20 ga single shot with trap loads. Those birds fly fast!!!!

Around town i will be going out, probally hunt management land or a few patures mostly, might give the new goose pit a try for doves on the opener. 1100 20 ga 8 shot trap loads, sitting in a tree line if a can, otherwise just hunker down in the feild. Dog might come with if im hunting taller grass. Can't wait, it's a blast if you haven't tried it.

I'll be out there every chance I get. Prolly drive around until I find a good concentration of birds then set up if we get permission like last year. Its usually hot out there but its still an awesome time. Really got into them last year. Hoping to bring out 2 Golden Retrievers and see what they can do. Also, going to buy some cheap steel shot just in case the geese stop flying and some doves are nearby.

Prolly use the 12 gauge some and also the 20 if I get around to buying shells for it. Just got 4 dove decoys as a birthday gift, so those always help too. CANT WAIT!!!

ive hunted alot in south texas where i used to live but it will be my first time in minnesota im looking around to see where i go hunting i like the areas near henderson minnesota, Gaylord Minnesota area but have to find some public land in these areas. We used to go out (in texas)and set up a BBQ pit under a tree and have a cookout taking turns as you could probably get your bag limit in an hour so we all took turns watching the grill. We also had fun shooting as many crows as we wanted since they are considered pests and dont have a season we would just gather them up and burn them so we wouldnt leave waste for the land owners. I know crow season is open until october 15 but if you kill them do you have to eat them???yuck i guess i wont be shooting any or what is the deal with Crow season up here as long as you take them home and dispose of them i just dont want to be the unethical person here so any info i was thinking of making CROW AND CARP SOUP lol anyone care to join me ja ja

oh yeah 12 Gauge magnum, where i have no idea, shot dont know yet have to go find some, dont have a dog,

if im correct i can only use steel shot as opposed to lead what are the pro's and cons and since ive never hunted with steel shot what type do you use

I think that steel shot is only required for waterfowl, and on Waterfowl Production Areas. If you're hunting doves on private land, you can legally use lead. I'd recomend something small, 7 1/2 or 8. It doesn't take much to knock down a dove, you just want as many pellets as possible in order to help you hit them.

IM probably heading to NEY WMA dont know how it is havent even scouted but hey as long as i get to enjoy the outdoors its ok so ill be using steel shot thanks

You shouldn't need to use steel there, only on Waterfowl Production Areas, not Wildlife Managment Areas.

I figure first of all be safe than sorry, second heck if i can help nature its ok for me and that way ill see if there is any difference in shot dispersion, altitude, speed and other things betwee lead and stell shot. anyone here been to NEY WMA near 169 in henderson mn

uspen, when you're driving around down there by Henderson, keep an eye out for harvested oats and wheat fields, I think thats where you're going to find the doves. And maybe by a pond, if water is scarce. Don't hesitate to get out and ask a farmer for permission.

thanks for the info maybe i will also go into asking for permission to hunt for deer je je je...thanks guys

Definetly going again, it was a blast (no pun intended), used 12 gauge,7 1/2 to 8 shot, hunted by water holes, hide in the grass, they flew in continously, shot up box of shells,(lousy shooting) but great practice for me and lots of action for the kids. Actually it's a great way to get the kids some practice cause to many times pheasent hunting they just can't compete with older more experienced hunters, especialy if you walk all day and see only one bird. they do'nt get as bored or tired. can't wait, and tasty too.

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you guys ever walk and flush the doves? I have been doing a lot of walking with my new pup and we have been kicking up quite a few. Usually they hold pretty tight too. Last year I did very well by just walking a gravel pit. I think they like the scrappy grass and weeds. I might buy a couple decoys and give that a try too this year.

Yeah that can work well. I walked a bean field that was adjacent to a corn field and walked the edge and alot of birds would sit in there, especially if you can find a dry spot with shorter crops. A dog would definitely help flush them but more importantly find them in a field like that. I do some decoying dove hunting too, both very enjoyable. Decoying will get you ready for duck hunting, flushing will get you ready for pheasant, its a win win situation!! wink.gif

i was reading the regulations and there is an early goose season so lets say i buy my state and federal migratory bird license and of course my small game and im out dove hunting and i come across some geese can i just unload my gun and put in some bigger shot and shoot down geese considering i would have my licenses and all i dont plan on specifically hunting geese but i plan on taking some geese loads to drop some if i have the opportunity

I dont see where this could be a problem, as long as you have your gun plugged and are carrying non-toxic shot only.

yeah well i believe we have to have it plugged anyways for dove only 3 rounds in there like i said im not going after geese but if i see them flying around i might give it a go ill be sure to take a box of shells just in case

Don't forget the $4.00 early goose tag, it has to be with the Sm.Game,state and fed. stamps, Oh and you must be HIP certified.

hey thanks i had it in mind i just didnt list it which leads me to think i should write them all down dont want to be out in the middle of nowhere and realize i forgot one of them he he

its tommmorrow its tommorrow i can already smell the morning dew mixed in with the scent of burning powder here birdy birdy birdy coo coooh cooh cooo cooo cooo

any one know where i can get some cheap stell shot since on saturday i want to do both dove and geese hope i dont hit a dove with geese loads at least ill have something left to pick my teeth with he he

No idea where you can get "cheap" steel, I would just go out goose hunting in the morning and dove in the afternoon and see what happens, to much shooting at doves while goose hunting doesnt help your chances at a goose any.

Can't wait for tomorrow morning either, but saterday has really got me fired up.

what ill do is ill go out today Thursday to check out the spot and see if i see geese around and stuff you know and see whats going on and then ill decide maybe saturday ill just goose hunt. I was wondering you mentioned hunting doves in the morning and geese in afternoon, My QUESTION IS what is considered possesion of lead shot. for example i have both lead and steel shot in my vehicle i get my lead shot go out into the field lets say 500 yards from my vehicle and hunt dove later in the day i come drop off all my lead cartridges and stuff and grab my steel shot and go out same spot 500 yards away. is this okay or is it still considered in possesion. I think its still being in possesion hmmmmm.... i guess ill just have to decide for one or the other.

So how did the opener go for everyone? My buddy had permission to hunt a sheep pasture near Janesville and that turned out to be a good shoot. We only killed 12 doves and missed a bunch before we had to leave due to sheep being move into the pasture. We still had fun though.

I take it that not many people went out due to the lack of posts??? I went out again this morning and did real well. I was out by Janesville again and I was pass shooting them between their roost and their food source. Another fun outing once again!!!!