• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior report from Duluth

Lake Superior fishing has been down right fantastic this week as the Lake trout are hitting just about everything. Lots of great weather in Duluth the past week with the exception of the low that moved through late yesterday. Air temps have been pretty steady in the upper 70’s and low 80’s with the same continued outlook for the weekend.

Fishing has been great on both spoons and dodger fly rigs with smelt. The bite seems to be good anywhere within 20’ of the bottom from 85’-107’ of water. I expect things to continue to be good for the near future too. We were working areas pretty much straight east of the Duluth entry in the depths mention. We have had several big Lakers this week too with lots of size to most coming in. There are a few really decent size Kings ending up in boats as well this week. Good Luck out there. Check out my website for a few pics and reports! "Free T-shirt" page link. Thanks and I am sure we'll see a few of you out there this weekend.

Thanks for the report Joel. Now I won't be able to decide if I want to go deep for trout and salmon or go after them big walleyes. Got to love the big pond.

Randy ya know your a eye guy. Dont try to front for Joel. grin.gif

E-mail or call me tomorrow I have some news for ya.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thanks for the report Joel.

I made it out for a short time Wed. Strong SE made trolling difficult. Managed to loose 75 bucks worth of gear because of it too. We did get two nice Lakers at 10 and a 13lb. Both on the bottom in 145' of water on flasher/fly and smelt.

The wife and I went out this morning for a couple of hours on the wisconsin side. The wife lost2 fish right away, then I put down a j-plug and caught about a 4 pound laker right away, put the green white plug down to 50' again, and within 5 minutes, another realse. 18 pound laker, almost spooled me. Took me about 1/2 hour to boat it. I was done for the day. all hits were in 65 to 75 feet fishing 50 to 60 down.

Steve, Shhhhh ! your going to blow my cover cool.gif I'll give you another call later. I assume your working right now. ST and viking , nice lakers guys. Viking what did you nail that guy on?

Caught both fish on green j-plug fishing 50 feet down in 65 to 73 feet of water. I have about 100 of them and have only used them on Lake Michigan. Thought I would try them here. Excellent. Other hits were on monkey puke, 60 feet.

green and orange flasher with aqua fly, and gulp smelt.

Viking, thats cool. I have about 25 of them things and have yet to wet one. Might have to try them soon.

Frank, what did you lose to the lake. I donated a rod and reel myself last Sunday. I still haven't figured out how it left the boat.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Well after assuring my wife that the lake would be calm(according to NOAA) I convinced her to come out with me.

Long story short version she won't be fishing the pond with me for another 10 years. In fact she hasn't said more then a few words to me in the last couple days. Thats fine because on the ride in I heard an ear full. I tell ya I've completely lost any faith in NOAA giving accurate forecasts in wind direction.

On top of that I lost One Dipsy with a Jim's MP spoon.

200' of downrigger cable. May as well call it 300' because thats what I'll have to replace it with. 1 12 lb ball. 1 winger, 1 Blacks release, 1 Custom painted flasher, 1 chrome flasher. 2 Atomic flies. Not a big deal and thats what you can expect when flirting with the bottom. There was a lot of current plus the wind. I just got caught(actually my with was at the helm)with a stalled out rigger on a turn, TWANG.

I did get lucky though when I rigged a flasher and fly. I threw it over without attaching it to my rod. Its not the first time either. Anyway it got hung on the down rigger cable and I got it back. smile.gif

Wind and waves sure can make it interesting. I was kind of bummed a little when I lost the rod and reel out there the other day. But then realized theres alot of worse things that can happen out there. Hopefully everything works out for ya Frank.

I agree, NOAA kind of stinks. We were out on the pond a few years ago when a big storm hit, the local radio channel came across with warnings shortly before it got bad, but NOAA never did waver from there mostly sunny, light wind forecast. From that time on I have always listened to a local channel, plus NOAA.

Today was a beauty of a day. Fishing was fair and we managed to get the big "L" but they were all 2-7lbs. The morning was steady but around 10:30 she got flat and the fishing died. We managed our biggest three fish around 12:30 and got off the lake just as the wind seemed to be building. Forgot the meat in the freezer so we spoon fed 'em again and that seemed to work just fine though it wasn't the plan. The real fun was running through traffic on 35 to get my bibs that blew out of the boat on the way back home. Other than that it was a great day...filled the cooler, no tangles, no lost tackle, everyone was safe, and I didn't have to work after we got in.

Matt I would have paid to see ya dodging semi's on 35. grin.gif Glad ya got them ok.

ST it happened exactly to me too, it must be a pattern.

Lost same items plus a nice mast (bent in half). I was rigging after a catch and Kathy didn't pay attention at the helm, I was down at 75ft and sonar said....64ft...kabooom, I am glad it didn't hurt anything else, and the other 3 were at 60ft and less.

About NOAA I still have to figure it out he wave height measurement gauge deal, they said 1 to 3 ft, but when I see a wave behind me higher than boat+downrigger and I have to look up to see top, or if I dip my bow into next wave several times, I think it is a little more than 3ft (and I had a 22ft Lund Sportcabin, not a tiny boat.....)

Anyway it's just hardware, they'll make some more, spending time in the water with wife...priceless....correct ??? wink.gif

ST, we all have our days out there on the lake. Now you can have fun buying back all the stuff you lost, and then some.

I had to chuckle a bit when you mentioned the equipment nearly tossed away. I was fishing with a couple buddies about two years ago and as I recall, the guy that was rigging just tossed out the entire flasher and bait without anything attached to the rod. Total loss of about $15. We all laughed about it at the time, and still do. Although I believe there may have been a few Miller Lite's involved in that lure's demise.

HC

Quote:

Although I believe there may have been a few Miller Lite's involved in that lure's demise.

HC

I was just wondering about that..... grin.gif

I can see it happen, very easily, I walk around with a shirt that says Lord Of The Beer..... grin.gif

• 1 month later...

Been there. Done that. But there was no Miller Lite aboard. I've seen quite a few objects lost to the lady of the lake...sober all the while.

Joel, checked out the site and looks like a good deal but I couldn't find the link to the free t-shirt page. Got any recent reports?

Also,

Steve you don't have to pay to see tricks like that. It's become a daily routine for those sorts of shananigans.