• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Open Seat Friday (tomorrow) morning

I will launch @ Hidden Falls around 7am and fish until 11am or so. I plan on just dragging some cranks around and hope to snag a few.

Be forwarned, this year has been a downer for me. I havent been on the water for over a month so and mornings arent usually the best. But anyone that wants a boat ride is welcome. I have all the equipment and tackle that we need.

Sorry-seat was not filled,so I didnt go. Instead, I left at 7pm for some poker at Canterbury and played until 4am. Long night!

Anyway, I did get out for a bit w/ my wife and kids (5 and 2 years) for about 2 hours on Sat late morning. Fished from 10:30 to just after noon, 1st pass 5 real nice eyes, 2 over 20" and one boatside release that looked like 23".

We then went to the dam and a little boat ride for the kids. Fished a little under the highway 5 bridge and got 2 decent northern, then made one more pass where we got the eyes w/ nothing more.

The fish seemed VERY agreeable and if I was just fishing instead of providing family fun, we could have gotten a ton of fish. The size of everything was very good. Lots of drum and smallies too.

I may be back tomorrow morning without the family!

Um, did you say smallies? Along the rip rap down stream or have they moved to the dam? The last time I was at the dam the sheepies were nuts and everywhere. This was a couple weeks ago already.

I caught smallies everywhere. A few nicer ones across from Watergate. Rocks, sand, you name it, they were like little brown rats out there!

Dave, can you tell me if trolling downstream or up has been better for you? It seems the wing dam bite has slowed down for me and I might have to try trolling more.

Hey Dave,

I was out last Wednesday night and did pretty well on the small mouth. Only one catfish and the rest small mouth from 12-16 inches. Fished above the ford dam and caught them trolling booth ways. Interested to hear if anyone has found up or downstream trolling better than the other.

Rik

I usually troll upstream, but that is just because it is easier if you get snagged or hook into a BIG fish.

I dont think it matters much to the fish right now. They have no problems getting your bait. BTW-it isnt unusual for me to throw out a wake because I am trolling so fast!

Thanks for the reply Dave, last time I was out trolling we seemed to get more bass trolling upstream than walleyes. Trolling downstream we had more walleyes, but lost more fish too. Good to hear both work well!

how deep is everyone trolling? i have been trying to keep my lure in about 6-7' of water, hitting the bottom occasionally (basically a few feet from the break into the main channel)

I usually have one bait in 6-8' and one in 2-4'. The 2-4' catches most of the fish.

Dave,

What are you trolling crankbaits or Spoons just kind of curious as to what's working better for U. I have a boat but usually fish from shore by hidden falls south gate. One of these times i'm going to have to man up and actually pull the boat down there (heat makes me lazy).Or Take U up on your offer if you are ever looking for a co-pilot.

Good Luck,

Kurt