• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LM Bass in Lake Bemidji?

We are going to Lake Bemidji State Park shortly. We have been there twice before and have had great luck with Walleye and Northern Pike. However, we have yet to get a Muskie or Largemouth Bass. I know Muskie are in there, but any tips on them? How about Largemouth Bass? The DNR lake survey says they are in there, but I have never caught one. You'd think with the miles of rushes, we'd at least get a couple of small ones. Being with Muskies in the lake, that's where they'd be. Thanks!

Muskies and Large Mouths are in Bemidji....The ole' Bucket mouths are out there but tough to find sometimes...I would work the Cabbage beds and try to find the LM's on the deeper sides of the drop from the cabbage...As for those rough fish wink.gif....Muskie Alley is always a good start...Start from Cameron Park Access and work your way up to the Northwoods access..On your tour of the alley you will see where the drops are and where the cabbage is. Lately I have heard top water working but the always dependable Bucktail will work to..Hope this helps...

Beef

Due to the large population of big muskie and northern in Bemidji, the numbers of bass are very low. If you want bass action, your best bet is to work the reeds very near the outlet on the east side. The bass in Bemidji hold closer to shore due to the Muskie and Northern. There are about a dozen bass also located in the reed bed around reeses point. I would venture down the river to stump lake that is loaded with bass however. It's a nice boat ride and you will be able to say that you were on the Mississippi at it's northern most point (about a half mile down the river). Stump is about 2-3 miles down I'd say. I have been down there with my 18ft boat, so you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as muskies go, the algae is in full bloom right now. This is the best time to fool these very effecient predators. The algae cuts visibility, increasing reaction strikes. I would use a black and red bucktail, a surface bait with a propeller such as a top raider, or a surface stick bait that darts from side to side like the dancing raider or the Phelps jumbo jerk. Work the weed line on the west side, as well as Reeses point. The rock pile and Grassy are both holding fish also.

Good luck and give us a report when you get back.

Thanks guys. I know there is cabbage out front of the state park, but where else? I really haven't fished the west side of the lake, just the reeds on the east side. How about Lake Irving?

Irving has a very small population of bass also, they can be found hanging out in the slop up in the NW corner of the lake.

In the paper today, a couple of kids had four bass between 3 and 6 1/2 lbs that came from stump. That's where I'd go if I were you. I only hope they released them, though it didn't look as though those bass are with us today.