• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help fishing on the Iron Range

Hello, I just started getting into fly fishing (so much to learn) and I was wondering where the best spots are, close to Hibbing if possible. The only place I have tried is Pickerel Lake.

Are there any good rivers/streams to fish for trout around Hibbing? Somewhere I can go after work and toss a line in on a nice day.

Also anyone that knows the best flies to use locally would be appreciated.

Thank you

The Range is not well known for trout streams. There are several old ore mines that have been stocked with trout in the area. Not sure if fly fishing would work. I am very familiar with Pickerel. Fish it on a regular basis. Lots of fishing pressure. There is a small trout stream near Pickerel called Stoney Brook. I've fished it in the past but it is very overgrown and full of creek chubs.

If you need advice on other lakes in the Hibbing/Side Lake area let me know.

Probably the best trout stream in your region is the Dark River, north of Hibbing and west of Britt. The DNR discontinued stocking it several years ago but there is a good self-reproducting population of brook trout and rumors of brown trout left over from the stocking days.

Thanks for the info guys.

Hibbing: I would love to here any Iron Range fishing secrets you could pass on smile.gif

I tried Pickerel but did not have the correct flies at the time. I'm headed to duluth to pick up the correct flies today so I can try Pickerel out again tommorow.

The Valley River, a bit further north is another one to try. The DNR has a book of trout streams that have lots of them listed.BUT if you really want to get into fly fishing around Hibbing, change to bass and bluegills. There are lots of small lakes that have excellent smallmouth and of course largemouth with many being walk-in lakes. There's a trout lake just north of Chisolm also. I'm blocking on the name but I think it's Deepwater,in the same area as the Dark river that I've walked in to and had excellent fishing. There's lots to do if you're willing to expand you species horizons and just start to try stuff!!!! Good luck

I am open to all species availible to a fly fisherman.

What would you suggest for fishing bass other than poppers?

I like wooley worms or wooley buggers. They imitate larva or hellgramites and come in all sizes from trout to big bass. On some ponds with large mouth, I've had luck with those actual dragon fly imitations. Other terrestrials are good for bluegills especially a rubber leg spider. The big dragon flies and others require a #8 rod but the wooleys and streamers and other small ones go fine with a standard trout rod like a #6. Let us know how you do. If you have any direct questions, you can e-mail me at [email protected]