• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have some friends that invited me up for a weekend at their cabin on Beltrami. I was wondering if it is worth toting the fishing equipment along and if i so, for what species.

Thanks

Dano

Let me see if I understand you....Coming up North and thinking about not bringing your fishing equipment confused.gif The answer to your simple question is YES, and you will catch some nice bass, northerns, and maybe some walleyes (And maybe some Pannies)....Beltrami is a very pretty lake with some awesome fishing....Good luck and have fun up here in God's Country.....

Beef

You can troll 20-25 feet down along and below the thermocline with the big stuff for big summer pike. You can hit the cabbage line edges 8-10 FOW with slip bobbers and little leeches for sunnies, and hope the crappies and walleyes move in toward dark in the same places (minnows for bait for the crappies, leeches or crawlers for 'eyes). You can ply the pads and shallow cabbage with bass lures in the very early morning or late evening. You can bounce the bottom with jigs or rigs for 'eyes in 'eye-ish spots (get a map), and cast minnow cranks along the deep cabbage line of an evening trying for them, too. High summer is the worst time for 'eyes, but Beltrami has them in fair numbers.

And last year I caught a small musky on Beltrami. First time I've heard of one there in the 20-plus years we've had a cabin on the lake. Also caught two very small smallies last year. Neither species is native to the lake or the several-lake chain that includes Three Island, Fox, Beltrami, Movil, Turtle and Little Turtle. DNR also had other reports of musky on Beltrami last year, including one that went about 40 inches.