• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Superior Charter Trip - Duluth or Grand Marais?

I am looking to conclude an inland Gunflint area angling trip with my two teen sons by going out on a Lake Sueprior Charter boat during the first week of August. I have no experience in this area and wonder if anyone can advise whether there is a better experience to be had by going out of Grand Marais or by driving back home and stopping in Duluth. There are certainly far more charter boats in Duluth, but I dont know which area holds the best prospects for landing some fish. Any advice? Thanks

I am no Lake Superior expert by any means, but you should be able to do decent from either location. From what I hear fishing has been very good in Grand Marais with some big lakers and good numbers of small salmon getting caught, and it sounds like the charter boats out of the twin ports are starting to pick up bigger lakers now with the bite going deep and switching over to meat. I have seen some huge fish come to dock up in grand marais, but it seems almost all the charters know their stuff and will do their best to put you on fish, either way you go you should have a great trip.

Quickstrike, thanks for the quick reply. I prefer Grand Marais because it fits well with my itinerary. My two trout addicted teens and I are going to be spending a few days on Trout lake just up the Gunflint Trail. There are a few other lakes ( Kimball, Mink and Bogus) in near proximity. We are neophytes and will be bringing both fly fishing and spinning gear. Do you have any experience with stream trout in these lakes? if so, any suggestions on tactics or locations. We will be primarily catch and release.

There is a great charter out of Tofte (about 30 min south of GM. Tofte Charters. He is one of the best up there and a very nice guy, I have fished with him a few times and did very well. I also have heard they are getting some big lakers up there. I think there is a web site....toftecharters.com I think.... Good luck. MDC

I think if your going after bigger lakers try out of Grand Marais. If you want a mix bag of fish (kings, cohos ,browns, lakers, big walleyes) I would try out of Duluth. If you do decide to try it out of Duluth, give Skippers kid or End of the line a call. These guys will work hard to get you on fish.

If your in the Duluth area I'd certainly like to earn your business. We are seeing a very reasonable amount of 30+ inch Lakers here with a few Kings and Walleyes showing up. Book early, as I only have a few slots available for that week that your interested in. Thanks.

You may want to try Isle Royale, that is the best fishing on the lake for big lakers and August is hot. Grand Portage is only a 1/2 hour up the road from the Gunflint.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Isle Royal would be a great choice if you had enough time to take it all in. Definitely a trip in its own to consider.

August is a very good time to fish the Duluth end for the bigger Lake Trout.

the lakes you mentioned all have good numbers of fish although they are not the biggest trout in the world. You will probally have more luck fishing kimball and mink rather then bogus considering the splake will probally still be deep and tougher to catch then the rainbows and occational brown. if you want a few tips e-mail me at [email protected] i make about a half dozen trout trips up there every year and maybe i can steer you in the right direction when it comes to inland lakes and streams.

Duck2, I would check out Tofte Charters. Look at their website fishing report and look at some of the fish they have been catching. I have never used them but we are going next week with him when we are on our honeymoon. They have caught some big fish this week and it looks like a good time to be out there. I can't wait.

Duck2

Grand Marais in August can offer great coho salmon fishing. The best charter I know in the area that does that is Dick Mozetti (sorry not sure of the spelling) you can get his number from the Silver Bay phone listings. He has done this for more than 25 years as a guide. A trip to Isle Royal will provide great scenic vistas and a good chance at a trophy size lake trout. This comes at a greater cost however. Not sure who is doing this type of trip in that area. The Duluth Area offers great action on lake trout and we do get some larger trout in August. This year the average size has been a bit smaller than usual however if things hold true to the past it should improve in the next week or two. I also provide charter trips in the Duluth Area. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

Hope you have a great vacation.

Steve

If you have the time I would dedicate 2 days to Duluth....one on a charter and the other on the St. Louis River....I think this is one of the greatest secrets in the state....well secret maybe not, but not a ton of boats anyday you go out....It is great...eyes, smallies, musky, pike....it is a great day of fishing....i was up there 2 weeks ago and the bite was supposedly slow for walleyes...so we mostly threw for musky....had a bobber off the back of the boat, i reeled it in to replace and a musky hit the boober like a topwater....threw a topwater out again the thing hit it...also got into some pike feeding in two feet of water, raised 13 fish in 45 min- 1 hour....talk about fun....and the time we did spend going for eyes...still caught 3 in about an hour

Anybody fished Clearwater Lake on the gunflint?, my wife has a cabin on the lake and we are going in the next couple of weeks....i was dissapointed to see no walleye population on the DNR website....so may have to try Sag or others....but I would be happy taking the kids out for some smallies...and Clearwater seems to have them...any other suggestions?

Clearwater's a decent lake for Lake Trout, not sure about smallies. I do most of my fishing up there in the winter through the ice, so I'm not sure I can be of much help in the open water season.

Back to the Lake Superior question, I would say Duluth is probably your better option if you're just looking for a day trip. Isle Royale can be great if you have more time. Give Capt. Steve a call, he knows the lake like no other on this end...

HC

End of the Line,

I just left you a message. I will be in Two Harbors Monday and Tuesday nights for a little honeymoon. Do you have any openings early part of next week? The wife wants to get out for the first time.