• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baitcaster: Trouble with tying PP to spool.

PierBridge

Having troubles tying my line "power Pro 8/30" to my new Baitcaster "Abassadaur 6000" I have tried a few knots and they won't hold/take. The directions that came with the reel make no sense to me, do I have to take the reel apart there is not a lot of room for my BIG fingers to cinch it tight and get it to spool.

Thanks in advance I'll continue to search and try/ty.

2 things you can try, first use some cheap mono backing, I like to use Eagle Claw 15 lb line. tie that onto the spool then wind the spool a 1/4 or 1/3 full, then tie the PP to that and finish winding it on, that prevents the PP from digging into itself as much, and saves on the line you need to put on because when do you honestly need 125 yards of line at a time? The lazy thing to do is to tape the line on with some duck tape, take a small strip, 1/4 in wide, 2 in long maybe, and attach that to the line then to the spool, just make sure you never get spooled while fishing.

Thanks Rat for the tips again always learning from you guys.

I think I have it the newer Ambassaduer's have a plastic thumb rest that I removed and it gave me some room to get it to cinch if this does not work i'll give your tips a try.

Getting ready for my Catfish debut... grin.gif...

Thanks again RiverRat56.

Quote:

The lazy thing to do is to tape the line on with some duck tape, take a small strip, 1/4 in wide, 2 in long maybe, and attach that to the line then to the spool, just make sure you never get spooled while fishing.

Thats my solution to the problem. Every spinning reel I own that is spooled with a superline has a couple wraps of electrical tape around the spool before the line goes on. I tie the line on and then make one more wrap over the line, then continue to spool the line on. Its worked fine.

If you don't do this or use a mono backing, the entire spool of line on the reel will eventually spin around the spool when it is pulled on.

I better re-spool and tape it then, I hate it when the line spins on the spool.

Thanks Hanson.

Tie on about 25-50 yards of High Vis mono and tie the PP to it with a back to back uni knot. When you start getting low on PP you can easily see the high vis mono. c

you will run into this problem with braids. they material they are made from can not cinch down on itself like mono. like the guys said. either put tape on the reel or i prefeer to just wind on several layers of mono and tie your braid to it and finish loading the spool.

I spool a lot of reels at Gander Mountain, and spooling braids is often done incorrectly if you don't know. I always start with about a quarter of the spool filled with mono to avoid slipping. The braids are usually very small diameter, so if you apply tape to the spool, your spool will end up being half full, at best. The mono base will make the spool appear to be full to allow proper thumbing when casting.

Quote:

The braids are usually very small diameter, so if you apply tape to the spool, your spool will end up being half full, at best. The mono base will make the spool appear to be full to allow proper thumbing when casting.

huh?????

if you use tape and fill the spool with the braided, how can it only be half full?

I guess I can see if you have a large reel spool and buy a very small diameter you can run out, but in that case, why not buy a bigger spool of line?

I use the tape because I don't want any chance of a big fish running out and into the mono.

A typical spool of Power Pro is 150 yards, wich costs about $15.00. Sure, you could spool up 300 yards, which costs $25.00, but why?? If you have 50 yards of line out at a time, that is a lot. When I respool a standard reel with 125 yards of line, usually 3/4 of the line is unused. It isn't a question of more is better, it is what is the best setup. If you have 150 yards of line out and get to the backing, you are not fighting a fish unless you are deep water fishing. My comments are for folks around the average lakes.

After seeing that flathead that dtro caught, I can see why he wants all Power Pro!

Hey Kslip, are you Mike at the Lakeville store?

Also note that if you just add the 125 yds without any backing, on a reel such as an Abu; you will loose performance and distance with your casts.

Rob

For the length of time Power Pro last.. buy the bigger spool if your reel is high capacity... the money it will cost will be similar to that of quality mono.. because you dont have to change it all the time.. it far outlast mono.

I would never have anything less than the 150 yards on any reel(unless the capacity is less)... with more than 150 yards preferred. In many cases, some of us long line troll, a few of us have rods that will cast 80 yards and that is what it takes to get on the fish... either way, when we have our line a mile out there, we do not want the line turning on the spool, or losing casting distance/performance of the reel... how many of us would rather fork over another $10 to be sure our reel is properly spooled? I'll pay $10 not to possibly lose a fish of a lifetime any day... especially when the line will last an entire season under heavy use.

I do not tie directly to the spool with the superline.. I use mono, or a dacron backer.. maybe 10 yards.. enough so it will not slip under any circumstance.

I have to agree with fisher dave. I once filled half my spool with mono before putting on the power pro. nothing worse then hitting a big fish and having it run line out to the mono backing.

Now I put on about 10 yards and then tie on the power pro.

I'm not sure how long power pro will last I've only been using it for a year now. but I have had fireline on a reel for 3 years with no trouble with line breaking.

remember , with any braid. when it starts looking like it needs changing. just reverse the line on the spool. that way you get two seasons on it.

I spool reels every day also. Do a google search for "uni-knot". Put on a heavy mono backer attached to the PP with a uni-knot and you will not have to worry about losing a fish due to getting spooled or the mono breaking. Usually the rule of thumb is use a mono with the same diameter as the braided you are using. 125 yars of PP should be more than enough for any application other than fishing the great lakes.

Yep, that's me. I have your avitar pic in the bait store bragging board.

Yea, I figured it was you. I think I put a couple pictures up on the wall when I still worked over there. This is Rob B. by the way.

I was going to ask you when I saw you a couple of weeks ago Rob, did you catch that steelhead in the Duluth area? I assumed so.

sure did, just past two harbors. That was actually the smallest one, but the only one were I could get someone to take a picture. Very good fishing up there, already waiting for it this fall.