• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey All,

Just updating as of late. The walleye bite continues to be the best July bite I have seen in the past 3 or 4 years. Though (for me) the day bite is very slow, the morning and evening bite is great, witht he evening being better for me. Sill fishing JUNE PATTERNS. All of mine and my guests fish are coming from about 7-13 feet on hard bottom. The bite seems to be split between crawlers and leeches, though the edge for bigger fish appears to belong to the crawler. Lindy rig with about a four foot snell and quarter ounce walker is the rig we are using.

Get out there!!!!!!!

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the info. I will be fishing Vermillion next week for the first time. Glad to hear the positive report!

I usually fish rigs during the day, but enjoy trolling crankbaits in the evenings for walleye. Are there any colors or baits in particular that have better success at Vermillion?

#5 and #7 Shad Raps in Black/Silver or Perch patterns seem to work best. I did have a guest doing well with Chartruese Wally-Divers though.

I took some guests out this morning and we brought in 13 nice eaters. The fish have moved a little deeper than I have been seeing. We caught all the fish from 16-18 feet. Still all on Lindy with a leech, about a 4 foot leader. I use Vanish line to make my snells and I do think it makes a big difference.

Doug

Quote:

The walleye bite continues to be the best July bite I have seen in the past 3 or 4 years.

Doug,

I'd call it the best walleye bite of any month in the past 5 years. It's been like playing fetch with your dog... throw a crawler in the lake, and a walleye picks it up and brings it back to the boat.

My experience is a little different than yours, in that the fish I've caught have been on both hard and soft bottoms, morning and evenings in about 10-12 feet, mid-day in the 16-18 foot range. Been rigging with a 6 foot snell (Vanish), floating jig (chart), and half a fat crawler. Leechs not producing for me.

I have been totally striking out. Any locational hints? And how do you keep a crawler away from the endemic bluegills that cover the reefs?

Are the regions in question more shorelines and points instead of reefs?

Maybe I should just look for boats in the evening for a clue because I sure haven't got one.

Hans,

I must admit, I have moved to some soft bottom the past few days----- AND WOW!!!!

You are correct on the "Fetch" thing. I still continue to prefer the leech on the Lindy. I took some guests out this morning and we had two limits in about an hour and a half, along with some other fish. They are running very nice, with most of the fish 14-17 inches. I have not been out in the middle of the day, but it sounds as though you are doing quite well.

I am using the same rig I always use. I like Berkley Fire Line for my main line and using 6# Vanish as a leader (about a 4 foot snell).

If it gets any better we will have to call it "Catching" and not fishing.

Doug

Del,

I would think JUNE--- then go fishing. We are also catching a few gills here and there, but usually when we get around the rocks that are near to the flats that we are fishing.

Doug

Quote:

I have been totally striking out. Any locational hints?

Off-shore/off-island flats/humps near deeper water. Norwegian bay has been good for me, the Center Island and Staley Island areas, and the fringe flats around Wakemup Bay reefs and sunken islands.

Quote:

And how do you keep a crawler away from the endemic bluegills that cover the reefs?

Bring lots of bait!

Del,

Fished a flat in Norwegian Bay with three guests this morning, brought in two nice limits. Still on leech and Lindy, 4 foot snell. Most of the fish were in 17 feet.

Doug

I don't suppose you could narrow it down a little? Norwegian bay a pretty big place. I'll check the lakemap for flats of 17 feet, but more hints would help. Got a couple by center Island yesterday, but that se wind got me this evening. nothing except a 8 incher and a sunny. :-(

Try the complex of islands around Goodwill Island, Fire Island, etc. Boated 5 nice keepers plus about 15 bananas there. Also a bonus 19" smallie. Most success was in about 14-18 feet just seaward of that small island where the houseboats park overnight. Chartreuse floating jigs tipped with half a fat crawler, lindy rigged, 6 foot snell.

Evenings move up into nearby 12-foot water. Eve bite seems to start around 6:30 and last to 8:30. Morning bite is good in the same water until about 8:30.

Thanks a bunch. I'll give it a try. Have you tried spinner and bottom bouncer? Just out of curiosity.

I dragged some inline spinners across some favored spots on Merry Go Round, but no joy. (Admit I didn't try for long, because other method/places were producing.)

Leeches and lindy rigs worked this evening. There was a pack of boats, and I still got a few. Thanks for the tip. I would never have tried there without it.

Doug and Hans,

I couldn't agree more with your July assessment. I'm fairly new to the lake (3rd year), but this is the most consistent Walleye bite I've experienced since coming to Vermilion. We've been fishing the middle part of the lake lately: Niles, Wolf, Smart and Frazer Bays. Crawlers and leeches on just about any presentation have been working although the sunnies and perch have been savaging crawlers. We went through over 200 last weekend alone. 6:00-10:00 in the morning and 6:00-10:00 at night have been the most productive time periods. Hopefully the flipping of the calendar doesn't change the fishing patterns. Good luck all.

-BigVLover