• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Did anyone else fish 'Tonka today??

I had this outing planned with a couple of buddies of mine for the last 3.5 weeks. Hit 'Tonka at 6 a.m. and didn't do well at all. We were at Halstead's Bay when the storm hit this morning. Thanks to Tim & his family for letting us dock at their house and giving us shelter from the driving rain.

From 6 a.m. right up until the storm hit we had zero fish boated. Once the storm passed, we made our way over to Crystal Bay working shorelines and docks the whole way. Nothing. After getting back to Crystal Bay (where we initially launched) I finally managed to get one lowly bass. If he had any weight to him, I'd certainly mention it... but he didn't.

So... what gives?? Where were they today? Did anyone else hit 'Tonka?? If so, what were you fishing for, where were you, and what the heck were ya using?!?! I know those are all advanced questions... but just wondering how everyone else did today?

Days like today are frustrating - but they also make me thirsty for more knowledge and information. Was it the impending storm? Was it the wind? Water temp? Water clarity? And speaking of the storm this morning - listened to the news in the truck all of the way to the boat launch at 5:45 a.m. and not one mention of this storm was ever uttered! In fact, the AM Radio station mentioned a heat advisory after 10 a.m. with an air temperature of 95 degrees. They were so wrong.

Getting back to the fishing, I tried spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, shallow running crankbaits (running 2'-5') as well as a Texas rig (with and without weight) and my all-time favorite Senko rigged wacky style. Also, tried a couple of different colored jigs with a pig at the end. Ummm yeah... so no such luck.

I'm going to go sulk and pour over back issues of Bassmaster and Musky Hunter magazine now. frown.gif

Just got done fishing in a tourney today and the guys pulling in the large Bass were willing to tell us that they were using dark colored worms and working them DEEP and SLOW. Apparently the slower the better... so I guess we must be patient and work area's that look good slower than slow. Thats all I can say for now.

I was out on tonka early around 5 this morning. I have not caught anything the last week or so except sunnies and blue gills. Friday night my wife and I were out until nearly 2am drifting a bay throwing leeches on jigs and lindy rigs.We did get a couple of nice sunnies. The water is just so warm none of the fish are really doing much except the sunnies and the ones I caught were deep while looking for eyes.