• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The answer to this question could fill several pages. The number of Rapalas and the variety of fishing conditions makes for a complex combination. You can narrow it down by determining your fishing approach, topwater, medium, or deep trolling. There are different style Rapalas for each of these so choose one or two for each depth. To choose a pattern, talk to fisherman in the area or the sales people at the sporting goods store for advice on what works best. I've found that the bullheads love my Rapala Countown in clown color. Good luck! Once you become a real fisherman you will need one of every pattern grin.gif

I enjoy pulling cranks this time of year. I usually go pretty fast. I've noticed that the past couple of years My crankbits, including rapalas, are not running true. I usually use 10lb line and don't use swivels or leaders. Tie directly on the plug. I had a dozen or so balsa plugs that I've used for years that would dive deep and stay true. As those have wore out, my new puschases just don't stay true. Any suggestions?

I have also seen alot of other people running raps this time of year. I have never been a "rap" guy, unless you consider Vanilla Ice a rap guy.

I am considering getting into raps, however. My fishing lately has been slow, to say the least. May and June were great but the middle of summer is a drag.(no pun intended)

I think I may use those $7 lures I keep buying and never seem to tie on the line. I may start to hit the "rap" circut, but I will not let my pants almost fall off or set my hair in corn rows. wink.gifgrin.gif

Hitman, ur a hoot! Great response... Actually the wife and I are hoping to hit either/or Upper Cormorant and/or Lida this weekend using mostly raps. Usually troll about 1-1.5 MPH indicated on the paddle wheel...slow as the Johnson 90 4-stroke will allow. If anyone cares, will report the results. Good luck to all!

Island Guy, I have heard from a number of people that if you take your Rapala or any wood-based crank bait out of the water, and directly into your plastic box, they won't dry out properly and will warp...causing it not to run correctly. I can't confirm that ever happening to me, but may be a reason.

Zach, Shad-Raps in the #5 or #7 size seem to work best for me. I'm partial to firetiger and the blue/silver colors. Pull them or throw them along weed lines and you should get some decent results.

I have been casting #5 and #7 black/white shad raps and getting limits of suspending walleye in 11-16 feet. They seem to be about 5 feet off the bottom and the shad rap has been the ticket. Live bait seems to go under them since I have no idea how far off the bottom I truely am. A lot of the hits have come when the shad is coming up towards the boat and not cruising at a constant depth. I find trolling to be boring and have had little success enticing bites from it lately. So I cast and cast like a mad man! Can't go wrong with an assortment of shad raps.

I know what you mean. I got several larger Shad raps and they do not run true! Use a Risto Rap that ran like it should. My older #5's & #7's seem OK but the new #9's ? that I bought last year are c**p! Did use a Wally Diver more which runs better.