• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Another beautiful evening on the water and a few fish decided to cooperate for me. I managed only 4 fish tonight but all 4 fish I got were quality fish.

I went straight to the east side of the lake and started casting cranks to shallow flats in 2 - 4' of water. I tried several different colors and came up empty handed on each one. I made a move a little to the south of the area where I started and switched over to pitching plastics and casting beetle spins. The amount of gizzard shad in this particular area was tremendous. Large schools of these baitfish were surfacing almost everywhere I looked. After working this area over for about an hour, I decided to move to the inside of the school of baitfish and switch to casting floating Rapalas. On my third cast, I connected with a 22" 'eye. Immediately after releasing this fish, I slipped my anchor in the water and decided to stay in this area until sun-down. I managed to catch 3 more 'eyes at 22.5", 22.75", and 25" in this same area. #7 floating Rapalas in blue and silver were the ticket tonight coupled with a very slow retrieve. All 4 of these fish came out of less than 2' of water, so keeping the presentation slightly off the bottom was key.

It's pretty tough to beat the rush of catching big female 'eyes in shallow water. All 4 of the fish tonight, immediately after hooking up, rolled to the surface and you could see that nice white tip on the surface. That sure does get the blood pumping!

This bite on Madison is definitely there to stay for awhile. If these type of areas don't get hit too hard in the next few weeks, look for fish to keep giving in to some sort of presentation. I changed tactics and areas 3 times tonight before I got something to work, so have some patience and keep trying things until you find something that works. I'm not sure if I'll get out anymore this week but if I do, I'll be sure to post my report, as I always do.

Good luck out there! There are fish to be caught, so get after them.

There are no walleyes in Madison Lake grin.gifwink.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Nice Job Otter,

First off, i think your a dang good fisherman. With all due respect and for the protection of these large fish lets stick to the tactics and not locations on these small lakes, even general directions can turn a good spot into a community spot in a hurry. I agree with and follow the same catch and release ethics as you do, but as you know many do not. I've made the mistake of giving to much info to the wrong person and i regret it to this day. I'll talk tactics but not locations. Good luck the rest of the season.

What do you mean no walleyes. I thought alot of walleyes were in that lake.

Jay-Bird, thanks for the compliments. I'm not used to those. grin.gif

I appreciate your concern about location. Trust me, I've been burned before too. However, in this particular instance I'm not overly concerned. "The east side of the lake", in my opinion, is above and beyond labeling somewhere as a general location. Madison is a decent-sized lake and "the east side" could be portrayed many different ways. Like I said, I'm not overly concerned. For the 4 years that I have been fishing the area I was fishing last night, I've seen less than 10 boats in all of my outings.

FishRulerHookEM,

I think there is a touch of sarcasm in the air!

Matt?

grin.gif Yep, just a little sarcasm is all. I had a tourny out there last year and boated some monster walleyes and Team Otter got some gruff about his posts from people saying there were no walleyes in Madison Lake and that his reports were bogus. I joined that thread last year posting some pictures of the fish we caught out there trying to back up Team Otter proving that his reports were indeed ligit.

You got that right, Team Otter knows walleyes, and he has those Southern area lakes nailed down! His reports and posts are credible, it's just that sometimes we need to be open to new ideas and suggestions. Team Otter must have a tracking system on those walleyes, because they always seem to find their way to the end of his line grin.gif

So yes, there are walleyes in Madison, just having a little fun with Team Otter by my comment about there not being any walleyes in Madison smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt,

Thanks for the support! grin.gif

I don't know about a tracking system but a stroke of good luck may be more appropriate! I seem to be on a roll lately so unfortunately I'm due for a cold streak. Hopefully it's not any time soon!

Team Otter, there is no way you could have a cold streak until december when the water turns hard then it startes all over. grin.gifwink.gif I have seen the way you fish, you tell it like it is. cool.gif

Otter, I had my doubts at first as well but i know a good eye fisherman improvises in times of trial so i gave ur tactics a try. I only got one eye today on madison but OMG!!!! I had about a 46 inch pike break the front treble off my shadrap!!!!! Thanks for the reports and keep em coming. I got a tourney on german in a week for eyes.....any tips or advice? Thanks again.

Hawkeye,

Too funny! Ice fishing isn't bad either! However, casting and trolling is a lot better than drilling and searching. If I had to choose, I would take the open water even though I love ice fishing.

Bassboy,

Look to my report titled "German 'Eyes". This should give you a good starting point. Don't give up on those shallow fish but I think the better fish right now are out suspended over deeper water.

TO - Took your advice and hit Madison last night. Thought we had everything going our way. Trolled cranks on the west shoreline to start. Only one hit from what seemed like a very large fish - could have been a pike. However, it was off before the rod got out of the rod holder. About one hour before sun down we headed to a shallow water spot. Found a really hard bottom (triple echo on the graph)in about 4' and baitfish surfacing all over the place. I thought we were in for a good one. Casted cranks and plastics into these bait fish for almost an hour with no strikes. Hard bottom, baitfish, full moon.....after reading your report thought everything was aligned perfectly. Oh well, maybe next time. It was a very nice night to get out, however the mosquitos about carried you away at the boat landing at 9:30!!

Gerty,

The fish I caught on Tuesday night, July 19, were in 1 - 2' of water near a muddy bottom and were very specific to wanting a floating Rapala retrieved very slow. Blue and silver is what worked best and that's only because I think it closely resembles a gizzard shad in color.

Keep at 'em. They're out there!

Team Otter - What I didn't mention is that the 4' hard bottom was right next to the 1' to 2' mud bottom you speak of. We were basically boating over the hard bottom and casting into the soft mud and the bait fish you were talking about. Tried blue and white and every other color in the box - retrieved slow like you said. Just wasn't meant to be on that night. frown.gif

Gerty,

You're probably right. Been there before plenty of times. I know what you mean.

One other thing I should mention is that around here, especially on Madison, is that the fish often times "change their mind" a lot. The fish may indeed be in the same areas from day to day but the presentations that you must use to put fish in the boat can vary quite a bit.

Sounds like you have a good handle on location, etc. I'm sure you'll get into them eventually.

I was out on Madison with a buddy on Wednesday morning early looking for the eye's and low and behold we got into some HUGE bluegills! I'm talking 9 and 10 inchers! They were eating jumbo leaches of all things! They were in anywhere from 8 to 15 feet of water. Lots of fun!

~piker