• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New fishing rod advice

TKO_PUNCH

I am looking at purchasing a new St. Croix spinning rod. I am between 2 choices. The AS69MLXF rod, which is a 6'9" medium-light xtra-fast action, and the AS70MLF, which is a 7' medium-light fast action. I had a 7' medium-light fast action premier series, but now I am thinking about upgrading to an advid series. I loved the premier with the fast action, but was wondering about the xtra-fast action. Anybody have or had the xtra-fast action? Also, any advice on a spinning reel for this?

Thanks a lot~

TKO

This rod might be a little too fast for the superlines as you will pull hooks out of a fishes mouth. If you were using mono than a faster rod will make up for the line stretch and allow good hook sets. I feel that some of these ultra fast rods are great for feel but they also make for more wrist fatigue when fighting fish. Also the reels drag system will get more of a workout with a faster rod. Keep this in mind when your shopping for a rod.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Can't go wrong with a St. Croix in my opinion. My St. croix collection consists of 3 spinning rods(2 Legend Elites, 1 Avid), 2 Casting(Avids) and 2 Glass rods for trolling. All very nice rods and they won't dissapoint. I do have XF actions on two of my spinning rods and I like both very well. Sorry don't have any other experience with spinning actions other than MF and MXF. I do like my St. Croixs a little better than the other 20 or so rods that I have, but it does boil down to getting what you pay for. Gander Tournament Series, Fenwick HMX and Rapala Signature Series are some of the others that I own that just are not quite what a St. Croix is...Although I just noticed the Gander Mountain here in St. Cloud carrying the Rapala Signature on close out for $40/each which for that price I may have to pick up a couple ML actions to play with...

In all cases Shimano Stradic is my reel of choice although if you looking at a very complimentary reel the Symetre is a good choice as well.

Good luck on your search...Take care!