• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Merc opti vs 4 stroke

Nova

SO DID YOU GET IT YET? WHAT WAS THE STORY ONE THE AD THAT I SENT YOU?

I haven't yet. I found a brand new one with a 4 stroke on it for under $25,000. He won't take a trade so I am frantically trying to sell my Pro V tiller.

Under 25,000 is a very good price. Is that '04 boat and motor?? Who, may I ask is that dealer.

nova,

my 1890 is a '05 with '04 115 opti. i bought it as a warrior pro-staff boat after one year of use. corey bohn is the person i got it from. this fall he is selling his polyflake '06 with a yamaha 115. he hopes to have yearly turnovers... incidently, he hammered the walleyes a week ago sunday out of the red door. they were disqualified because the dnr gave him a ticket for being over the length on one fish, otherwise they had it. he is going to court over it! he also told me he is going back to the opti next year.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Minnesota, thanks for the info. It's great to hear all sides before making the final decision. grin.gif

nova,

if you decide on the optimax, ive got an aftermarket shifter for it ill sell cheap...lol

minnesotatuff

If I do decide on a Merc, I'll definately be interested. That is the only thing I don't like about Merc's...the tiller handle is bad news. Otherwise the motor is my first choice.

not meaning to beat this one to death...but, it seems like the '84 60hp merc i had used more gas than the '04 115hp optimax i have now.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Thanks for all the replies guys. I bought the boat last night and went with the 4 stroke.

Thanks, I got my dream boat finally. 1890 Warrior BT with a 4-stroke Johnson. I can't wait to get it wet.

wtg nova!!! youre gonna love that boat! my first time out this year was the sunday of opener weekend, first time ever in a warrior. we put in at cove. the wind was coming across the whole lake and later found out there was 25 to 35mph winds. there were 6 to 7 foot waves. the biggest ive seen on mille lacs. before then, the biggest i had been in were 4 footers... the boat handled like a dream! we had waves that broke over the bow, but at no time did i or my fishing buddy feel unsafe. also, it DOES backtroll in those waves. in my opinion warrior is the best boat for mille lacs. hope to see you on the lake sometime.

regards,

minnesotatuff

Skindog, yes it was a 115 Johnson 4 stroke, yes it does have the pro tiller steering, and yes they did change the layout on the upper deck for 2005.

Nova, I am going to be staying up stairs from the Wharf Tonight with Joe, Let's hook up for some fishing Check out your new boat. If you get this Give my cell a call

Brian 612-518-5579

18"r - Nova left this morning for the lake so he won't see your message. Nova won't be hard to miss. He'll be the guy with a grin from ear to ear in his 1890 Warrior and Johnson 115. I'm heading up tonight I'll let him know you're there. I have a cabin across the bay from the Wharf. I'll be in a 602T with a 115 Johnson.

I have a new 17' smokercraft with a 115 white Johnson. Darren is a friend of mine, I will fish this after noon into night and then early Saturday morning till lunch then head home.

dont know? dont know where you can find out either. it looks to be a pretty standard after market shifter assembly. it broke a chunk out of the tiller arm where it attaches. the assembly is fine and the tiller works fine. it would take some aluminum welding and painting to get the assembly to work again, that or a new tiller arm...right now im going with "simpler is better". i was kind of making a joke earlier, only because i hate getting ride of things that i might be able to use again.

regards,

minnesotatuff

18" Crappie, I missed you up there I guess, how did you end up. I spent very little time fishing. Had to do the 10 hour break in. Man that's hard to just drive around for 10 hours. Did end up pulling some deep cranks Sunday and got 3 fish lost 2 more.

I saw you come in Friday, you had a bout 3 people and a kid in your boat ( nice boat by the way). Friday I went out to Boot and marked tones of fish but like 20 boats moved in on me and with the wind picking up it was to hard to control so called it a night. Saturday the wind was bad on the east side so moved to the SW to get out of some of the wind. Did get 4 trolling Raps in 14 fow.