• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anchor Size

HuskersRule

Does anybody have an idea how big of anchor I need to stay in place. I was out there last Sat night and the wind started getting stronger around 9:30. My anchors wouldn't hold me. It was very frustrating when everybody else around me was not having a problem. I have 2 20lb anchors. I have a Lund 1700 Explorer. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Take a look at an anchor called the Water Spike. I never would have been able to fish Millacs this past opener without it.

I will thanks! Where can I find one of them.

Huskers - The spike is hard to find. I got one last year at Gander. I would make some calls 1st cause not all Ganders carry them. Go with the large or extra large.

I have a Lund 1700 Fisherman. When there is mild to strong winds I use an "original" water spike on the bow and may put a 28lb "navy" style out the back to minimize swinging back and forth. The spike is light and a joy to retrieve when done. If calm or very light wind, I put the 28lb anchor off the bow because it's easier to set and may put a small 20lb out the back if needed. I got lucky and found my spike at an auction. There are other similar designs available (Chene anchor), but I can't speak for how well they work. I have found a 3-4 foot piece of chain between the anchor and the rope will help set/hold any anchor (helps the rope lay flat to bottom). Also, if I am in muck, no matter what the wind is doing, I will alway use the spike because it will set/release really easy in muck and pulling a 28lb hunk of lead out of muck is not fun.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

You have plenty of anchor to get the job done. What I'm guess you need is more rope. A person really needs 150' of rope to ensure that they can anchor just about anywhere and get and good angle. Actually 200' is better. I can count the times I've slid on one hand with 150' of rope out the last 10 years with one 20 lb navy anchor and 4 ft of chain connecting the rope to the anchor. The problem I see is guys trying to anchor in 30 fow using 50 ft of rope with a stiff breeze. I'm sorry but you can carry enough anchor to hold you with that amount of rope(unless you've got a huge winch).

The water spike works great too. Especially in rocky areas. Plus they don't weigh your boat down much and disassemble for easy storage.

This is good info thanks. I don't have any chain on them and I know I probably only have 100ft of rope.

Somebody recommended the ProAnchor as well.

Borch brings up an excellent point. The "rule of thumb" we go by is 3X your depth. of course it all depends on the conditions. On the big water more rope is always better

I believe I have the large Water Spike with 4 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Another thing we've done when using two anchors in windy condition is to use both up front. Set the two anchors about 20 yards apart anlet out the ropes until you get wher you want. Tie each rope off on the cleat tot he side of the boat the anchor is on. You will not slip(again us plenty of rope) and your boat will swing little and maybe not at all. We've done this when bobber fish to cut down on the boat swing. Some hang the other anchor off the back of the boat. But it always seemed to get in the way when fishing and landing fish. The up front use of two anchors method rarely does.

I Have the Pro Anchor and its awesome!! I have had a Water Spike and it is good but the benifit to the Pro Anchor is that its smaller but has the power to hold. it fits nice in the back compartment of my boat where the water spike wont.I was out on Mille Lacs Lake on last saterday night on the north end with the wind and waves and had no problem.

Check it out you wont be sorry... guidemasters.com

Do you have the 18 lb ProAnchor? It looks like that one is big enough for a 17ft boat. Did you put a length of chain on yours between the rope and anchor?

I have the 18lb anchor. I got the anchor straight from Larry Hanson at Guide Masters. I also bought a rope and a clevis for it. With this anchor you do not need chain. I dont like that cause it makes it more heavy and scratches the boat if you have a rookie pulling it in!!