• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Swing-a-way tongue

blakjack23

Question

My new boat doesn't quite fit as expected and I need to do something so it is not taking up two garage spaces. I am thinking about buying this kit and putting it on.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200312036&R=200312036

Has any body ever done this? Anything I might need to know before doing it myself? Or for that matter, does anybody know anywhere that will put on a swing tongue? I called like 7 places already and nobody does it so I figured I'll be doing it myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

10 answers to this question

I had the same problem, but I just cut off about 2 feet of the tongue and rebolted the hitch back on, leaving plenty room of course for the boat to turn side to side while on the road. It was a karavan trailer and the front of it seemed very long for some reason, I've done fine without the added length.

Thanks Norsky. Unfortunately my boat is 18'3" and I can't afford to actually take away any of the tongue length, because like you mentioned, I wouldn't have enough length to turn if it were any shorter. Thats why I figured I would try and put on this swing kit, I need the trailer to be the same length, I just need to be able to shorten it when not in use.

I helped my neighbor put his on. It isn't too hard as long as you have the necessary tools, and a free afternoon. The toughest part is actually cutting the tongue itself. After that it's just drilling and bolting.

Mac, what did you use to cut the tongue? I don't have alot of stuff so I was just thinking about buying a hack saw. Other then that I should have the necessary drill bits and rachets.

Hacksaw?!! You kidding? You got to have a neighber that has at least a saw-zal or something. Maybe a cutting torch even. If not...give you a good reason to go buy one...if it's in the budget.

Or maybe you could drill little holes all around the tongue...then use the hacksaw to cut through them...might help a little.

Good luck...that looks like it will work well once you get it installed.

I have a Sawzall, we used that. A hack saw will take a while but hey, if thats what you have it'll work fine. Maybe a little slower but way cheaper. Just get a couple good blades and don't rush it. With a good blade it won't be that bad. Once you get it cut the rest is easy. You could rent a saw or something if time is a factor, but a little manual labor won't hurt. Just remember once you start there is no turning back. Allow enough time for a back up plan.

Us old guys used to have to do everything the hard way. wink.gif

The other thing you could do would be to talk to your dealer and have him order you a swing away tongue and install it yourself... which would replace the existing tongue... I thought that cabelas used to have them as well, but I didn't see it online...

marine_man

I'm with Uncle Jake on this. A hack saw on a trailer tongue would probably be a good hour of sawing wouldn't it?

Have a grinder that you can use a cut off wheel with? That would work. A Sawzall would be MUCH beter than a hack saw.

Good news, I just found out a co-worker of mine has a sawzall that he is going to let me borrow. That should save some time.

Marine Man, I think you can only swap tongues on ShoreLandr's. My Tracker trailer is one piece, all welded.

Thanks for all the info and input everyone.

I have also seen the Fulton Swing Tongue being sold at Mills Fleet Farm. You could go there and check out the specs and the price.