• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nu Way Stove Shanty heater

beer batter

Question

A bit odd to be thinking ice fishing during the hottest spell in nearly 20 years but...

Anybody have any experience using a Nu Way heater in their permanent fish house? They look pretty good and cost just over $100. I was looking at the model 3000.

Looking for how easy the pilot is to light. Any issues with the flame blowing out or just generally good or bad experiences with them.

www (dot) nuwaystove (dot) com

4 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I had one in a spear shack at one time. Those stoves have an open bottom which I'm not crazy about and they burn the air in the shack. Also mine didn't have a thermocouple but I think the newer ones do.

Glad to hear somebody is familiar with this manufacturer at least.

I'm not too concerned about the open bottom or burning air as I ventilate quite a bit. The main reason I'm looking at it is for the thermocoupler so I know they've got those.

Was it at all difficult to light the pilot? I don't think it has one of those piezo lighters so I assume you have to go in with a match or lighter - is that correct? Do you have to reach way in on all fours, or is the pilot in a position easily reachable?

Also did it seem to keep the shack warm and stay lit under windy conditions?

Thanks

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Mine doesn't have a thermocouple so I can't comment on how friendly they are to light. The newer stoves have a thermocouple and no pilot light. Yes you'd have to light with a match.

The stoves are small and simple with a low efficiency so you lose a good bit of hot air out the vent. I used a damper on mine to get more heat out of it.

I didn't have a problem with the burner blowing out but on a windy day did notice the flames flickering. I'd follow the venting instructions to the letter. Be sure your pipe outside it 2' above the highest point on your shack and its vertical. You'll have to buy a Low Pressure Regulator Kit along stove pipe. You'll need a 6" hole for proper air supply. When I sleep in a heated shack a CO detector is a must and with this type stove with no outside air supply I'd have a detector for day use as well.

If I was looking to heat a sleeper shack I'd look for something with else with its own outside air intake like a camper furnace.