• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Franconia 1st timer

Rivernut

I have fished a lot in the Wolf Creek area no. of st.Croix falls. Just wondering about the water level at Franconia. Also wondering if there are some bad spots to look out for. Should I go up or down from launch. Any info would be graet! Thanks.

The water level at Franconia is near its summer flow patterns. The main channel in the area around the landing is running about 3-4 ft. There is a large sandbar upriver from the landing on the minnesota side prior to the first rocks. The minnesota side stays fairly shallow up to the island. Watch out for the island as there is a large sandbar 100-200' below it stay towrds the rocks on the wisconsin side and you'll be fine. Take it slow the first few times out and you shouldn't have any problems. Hope this helps. TUNREVIR

We where just over there last night. It doesnt seem to bad right now for getting around. Anouther thing to keep in mind is the changing water levels during the day. They seem to raise and lower the level by almost a foot at times. Early morning being the lowest and mid afternoon beig the highest. There are some good fishing patterns that go along with the changing water level also.

Water temps where amazing last night. In the past there would seem to be a cool down of water temps with the riseing water. Did not notice this a bit last night. It was a great evening for setting the lawn chair in the water and watching rod tips. It should be a zoo over there this weekend.

Thanks for the info guys. Went there this AM. Couldnt launch. Too shallow. Tried 3 different spots. Not even close to being deep enough. My boat is very low slung but bunks. Put in at the state park access. ! eye, some nice smallies, and a bunch of cats. Oh yeah, and about 15 Turkey vultures standing on the large beach area just up river. Thanks for the info, its helpful for next time.

What size boat? I have a roller/bunk trailer with the rollers at the back that allow me to roll the boat off manually if it is too shallow. The bigger boat has an all roller trailer that makes it a little better to launch as well. I also might add that the little boat is a large 12' smokercraft with a trailer that was built to haul a 17-18' boat. The jack stand is moved back and I am sure that it looks really silly driving down the road but I can get in at really shallow accesses without much difficulty. My bigger boat is 16.5' but I have a bit more difficulty landing that in the summer at Franconia but it can be done without drowning the cab of your truck. Sounds like the cats are really taking off down there. I plan to get out this weekend and be done with my day by 10 am. If you are out look for a battleship grey 12' boat blueish grey drivers seat and a 15 h.p. johnson. come on over and say hello. Good luck fishing and have a super day!

Tunrevir

We made it up there yesterday. Yep. the landing is shallow. It always has been. The front tires of the truck where a good 15' in the water from the river bank. This keeps alot of people away from this landing. The good part about the landing is that it is all gravel. Have never had a problem getting back out of the water. As water levels drop more it will get easyer to launch there. In really low levels I have even launched off the point just down river.

Is the state park a deeper landing? Has anyone been down to Osceola lately? Wondering how that landing is looking.

I have a 16ft. aluminum boat & motor, empty is about 800 lbs. I backed into 3 different spots at the launch & one was as shallow as the others. Unless it dropped off considerabley I was not going to get in.

They were actually suspended over 27-34 feet of water in the large eddy straight out from the ramp at Wolf Creek. Also where the Walleyes were. Hope this helps.

If you know where the Wlid river state prk is, it's on the Wisc. side, up about a 1/2 mi. or so.