• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

can anyone give me any info on this lake. looking for walleyes or panfish. heard that it was a decent lake?

Fish2live, it is a very decent lake, good structure good weedline decent fish when you can find them.Took my youngest son & caught plenty of sunfish, nothing huge but he had a blast,although this weather is making things a little challenging as far as bass & walleye, & it sees a good share of recreational activity, (waterskiers/jetskiers) so you're best bet is early A.M. & late evening for now. I've only been able to get out only once MAYBE twice a week, & have had limited success, but going to try again tomorrow, I'm just not sure where. Good Luck, L2f

My personal opinion is that you would find bigger sunnies elsewhere. Lot of sorting on Frances when i have fished there I fished there quite a bit. Have a buddy that swares by the lake, but then I saw his catch one night.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Lake Frances today for about an hour. One small pike and a 3.5lb bass. Spoonplugs @ 17 feet. 3.0 mph. Hey my GPS will now read these slow speeds. It wouldn't read under 5 mph before!

Crappies all over in the 15 ft range. Look for the house on the hill with the big green lawn.

Would have stayed longer but my son had to go.

Went to lake frances this am, 6-8:30. went through my spot twice. The first time a hit but no hook set. The second time a 18-3/4" Bass. My tape said 3.6 lb. A real chunk. It got to busy so I came home.

When is the Bass tournament?

Ultimate Bass will be there (30 boats) on 8/20.

Fished a small tourney on Cedar yesterday (Midwest Sportsman). Finished first with 16.53# for 5 fish.

Katoguy, care to share your approach to acomplish your success? Not asking for specifics, but I fished Cedar last Monday & came up empty working the weedlines with plastics & cranks, then tried topwater over the weeds. I don't see how a fish could see anything through that geen water & weeds. Talked to a couple other people out there that weren't doing anything either, but that was small consolation. Congrat's on your win! L2f

Extremely shallow! We skipped plastics as far under trees as possible (usually hitting the bank) or we flipped jigs along the logs. You had to hit the bank. All the bigger fish strikes came right against the shore. We caught about 20 keepers this way.

It is strange that sometimes the bass lay in inches of water when it is over 90 degrees out!

No, Frances is very clear. It is almost like a lake up north. It also has good weeds instead of the curly pondweed in every other lake here in south MN.

Thanks Katoguy, I don't get out as much as I would like & when I do, the search is on with a limited amount of time to work with. Until now I was convinced there were no fish shallower than 8 ft., that being reinforced by Muddog's post getting bass in 13-17 ft. When I was on Francis a week & a half ago the only 2 bass I could find were in 12 ft. Now that I think about it there was a time quite a few years ago on Horseshoe I was pitching worms almost on shore & got bass, & it was HOT OUT! I guess some bass like it deeper & cooler & others don't mind that 83 degree water up by shore. Thanks for the info! This will help narrow things down next time I get a chance to go. L2f

I was out pre-fishing on Cedar last Friday afternoon. I didn't catch anything deep (over 8') in 2 hours, then as soon as I went up to the bank I started catching them. (Told me to leave my deep stuff at home for Sunday.) I also caught a few nice ones on docks, but not on tourney day. Docks only had peckers on them.

Frances has always been a tough lake for me to figure out. I did well a few of the Thursday nite tournies over the years when the frog bite was on. Full day tourneys are always won on the weedlines or rocks. (no trolling allowed, Muddog grin.gif) Some of the big fish awards have been caught on buzzbaits in the middle of the day in the slop.

That's OK. Once you find them a tube or a worm work just as well.

The place I'm catching them is on a way-point form last year at this time so the finding is over. I don't think I would want to troll it for a tournament. It wouild give someone else the opp, to slip in.

Just got back.

3 Northerns, Two small ones, One 24".

4 Bass ( maybe 5 I lost count ) two were 13" one 16" and one 17-3/4".

I took some pics with a underwater camera. Posting them may be awhile. I do this at home and if it comes down to setting up a web site or going fishing, well if your on the lake I'll show them to you.

fran17.jpg

Oh yea. I was alone and my arms are not long enough to take pics of me and a fish.

One more post.

The news is out; your secret bait is not that secret.

Last Sunday I was fishing on Lake Frances. I wanted to see what the other boat were up to. So I tried Speedtrolling Buzzbaits like SledNeck does. I trolled into the south bay. The south bay on Lake Frances has boat dock next to boat dock, next to boat dock, well you get the picture. As I started in I saw a fisherman in a boat fishing around the docks. I looked around 15 docks down and there was another fisherman doing the same thing this went on and on all the way around the bay. ALL the fisherman were doing the same thing. OK there most likely are bass around those docks but when I said they were ALL DOING THE SAME THING. I mean they were ALL DOING THE SAME THING. I do believe that after the first two boat any Bass that would hit a white spinner-bait with a gold willow leaf blade would be caught! Come on people, try something new.

Smoked the Bass again last week end.

By the way. I have not kept or killed a fish since last year at the Tatonka L.E.T.S. tourny. I did every thing I could to keep it alive. The 11.5lb pike just didn't fit my livewell. If it wasn't a tourny the fish would still be swiming.

From last Wednesday.

fran17.JPG

fran16.JPG

As always, they still swim.

As does this 19in from Volney

volbass1.JPG

Time to fry up some Tilapia.

mud dog you tease. I put in a solid 9 hour day and had a tough bite. My guess is the early morning bite is key. I know the lake fairly well and was pretty frustrated by mid afternoon. You are right them poor dock fish got pounded. We have a tourny on the 20th and there will be a little more pressure than normal the next week or so. The fish we did catch were not schooled up like I expected. A few days after a good cold front may have slowed them down? Be out again this weekend and try and figure em out. Flip

Here's a tip;

I'm catching them in 13-14' of water. Around 500yds from shore. On 10" red-shad power bait worms. Texas rigged.

If you know the lake that will help.

If I were you I would pre-fish the lake trolling those areas and mark your hits on GPS. Worm them later.

I've fished Frances Morning,afternoon and evening. It does'n matter. They will hit anytime. The two in the pics came after 7pm Wednesday. Last Sunday between 2 and 7pm (I only fished 2-7pm Sunday)

I'm fishing Lake Volney until the turney is over.

Does anyone know if there are any openings for the Ultimate Bass Tourney on the 20th, or a contact person?

I only fish Lake Frances in the fall for walleyes. I have

caught some big walleyes at night.

Tuesday nite walleye league was on Frances last nite.

17 boats and not a 15" eye caught.

(Second-hand information)