• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Lake reports....please...

How's the fishing been? I'm probably just looking to fish bass, but i could do some walleye fishing as well.

Any info would be great.

I've never fished the lake and I have a wedding at Breezy, so I might as well get some fishing in.

Crankbait_Guy,

Tell you a bit about a cool little pattern I came across last week. While guiding and field testing Nature Vision's new Aqua Vu MAV we found substantial numbers of small to fair-sized walleyes stacked off the sharp slope of a shore-connected sand break in 17 to 22 feet of water. The day I found them it was sunny, 90-degrees and 3o'clock in the afternoon. Still, a brisk southerly breeze blowing parallel to the sand break provided enough cover to attract pods of shiners, followed by walleyes and a few largemouth bass.

The walleyes were clearly very active, although way too spooky to work with a vertical presentation. By anchoring off in 7 feet of water, then casting little slip floats with leeches out over the break, we scratched out an impressive number of fish over two afternoons-- meanwhile, jet skis and pleasure boaters buzzed by, adding to the wave action. As the fish moved along the break, we simply re-anchored another 100 feet down along the edge and got back on 'em. The camera really helped in this regard.

As wind direction changes now, I suspect these fish will move to different areas, but so long as weather stays warm and stable, the pattern should repeat itself elsewhere. If you have an Aqua Vu, bring it along, otherwise, look for similar sandbreak spots buffeted by wind. I also suspect that, given the chance, you'll do well on shallow flats adjacent to these spots as skies darken at night.

Gotta give a big thumbs up to the MAV unit, though. "Wow" seems the obvious word to describe this camera. It's totally motorized-- raises and lowers on the cable with the simple tap of a foot pedal. Your hands remain totally free to fish. The viewscreen itself is huge, provides an ultra-clear picture-- even in high-sun-- and displays camera depth and temperature. What a tool. Thanks Z. wink.gif

Anyway, hope the info will put you on some fish. It was nice to be reminded that often, walleyes can be had even in oven-hot July, even in clear water, even during the middle of the day. Enjoy your fishing. smile.gif

-a friend called Toad

Hey Toad, I have been in the market for a camera and so far have held off waiting for new technology to come out. It looks like the Aqua Vu MAV has everything I want. Is the MAV at retail yet? I just looked on Cabela's website and it is not listed. Thanks!!

Don't think the MAV is out just yet, but I could be wrong. Maybe give a call to Nature Vision for the scoop (218.825.0733). Besides everything else, one thing I really like about this unit is its convenience. I'm employing the camera much more often-- in lots of situations where I might not've otherwise done so with my other camera-- an Aqua Vu Smart Vu.

Don't have to unwind any cable, set up the screen, lower the camera by hand, etc. Instead-- Zip! Just tap the "lower" button with your toe and bingo, you're viewing. Then tap it again to retract the camera back into its housing on the boat, nice and snug. Screen then shuts down automatically. Simultaneous fishing and viewing is now a reality. Slick as can be. Yep, pegleg-- this camera is absolutely gonna be the best thing going. smile.gif

-Toad

Thanks Toad,

Thoase MAV sound pretty freaking slick.

I'll look for those types over spots. I love slip-bobbering.

Toad hit the nail right on the head. This unit is absolutely amazing. I was lucky enough to see it in action last summer. I can't wait for the arrival of the Mav. It is the next step in fishing technology.

My problem is when I use the Aqua Vu, I spend more time playing with the camera looking at fish than I do fishing for fish. They are fun.

Jason Erlandson

Toad, do you know what the MAV is going to sell for when it comes out? I will hold off buying one until it comes out. This unit sounds exactly what I want - sounds very easy to use while fishing.

The MAV right now is looking at a retail between $1,500 and $1,900.

The planned retail date of this unit is First Quarter of 2006. Basically we are testing it all summer to make sure it performs as expected.

That camera sounds great and everything, but my question is how does it perform when there are 2-5 ft waves, when the boat is bouncing up and down. It's hard to keep my regular cam level with my even my hand in those conditions, so I would think being fixed to the boat would just emphasize that problem... Any thoughts on that?

Guess I don't really see that it's big factor. If you're worried, hold the cable in your hands and compensate for the "ups-and-downs" with your arms.

I do know what you mean, though, so far as difficulty holding the lens at one depth during high waves, but you really can compensate for this by "cushioning" with your arms. Also, I've mounted my unit closer to the transom (as opposed to the bow) where big waves won't cause such a major vertical variation in camera position. Really, if fish are down there, you'll still see them with the camera-- species, size, position and activity level. Just that you may get more brief looks at fish as they shimmy by.

Of course, big waves also distort depthfinder returns. Riding crests and troughs return "wavy" sonar views of what really may be a flat bottom, or even fish, as your transducer moves up and down. We might not like it, but it certainly doesn't keep us from using sonar. Either way, there's still no way to beat that real-world picture offered by an underwater camera.

-a friend called Toad

wow, guess i never really had a problem finding fish. isn't using a camera kinda like hunting deer on a 1 acer fenced hobby farm. were is the sport.

Me? I need all the help I can get while fishing wink.gif. Whether I always find fish or not, they still continue to astound and fascinate me-- hope they always will. Really do wish I had your success finding fish. But in the meantime, an underwater camera sure makes the learning process a whole lot more engaging (and fun). Which is sort of the point of a camera-- glimpsing into a world that's as foreign to most of us as the planet Venus.

Cameras make us better anglers not because we always catch more fish as a result of the unit-- on a whole we don't. Rather, they help click in new pieces of this giant (hopefully, increasingly clear) puzzle.

Anyhow, if I ever did find myself pursuing deer on your fenced hobby farm, I'd still probably find a way to muck the thing up. crazy.gif

-a friend called Toad

This post is asking for help with going fishing, not on what kind of camera to buy and how to use it. If you want to start a new post cool. I am not for or against the cameras i just question how much sport is involved with there use.