• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gentleman, I am looking for some tip's, ideas on how to fish trout during the summer on smaller in land designated trout lakes. I plan on spending a week camping off of the Kramer road out of Finland and I want to fish trout on Echo lake but I have never fished it during the summer.

I was wondering if some one could give me some ideas on how to fish them during the summer out of a boat.

Thanks for your time and information

Downriggers and cowbells with a worm set at 20 feet is a favorite of mine on Echo.

I would have to agree with the cowbells and crawlers. The only thing i do differently is not use downriggers since i dont have them but the fish dont seem to mind. Those stocked trout seem to be willing to come up a long ways to hit bait in clear water. I have seen them come up over 20 feet on the vexilar to take a bait! good luck!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Lotta guys like those cowbells for Rainbows.

Fishing the right water temps are crucial on the inland trout lakes. If you don't have a thermometer then you'll have to pay close attension to your sounder. When your over deep water you'll see the thermocline. You should also see fish right above. On these small lakes that depth of the cold water layer dosen't very much, meaning it's farly flat. Once honed in on the depth you can fish over the deep water or match that depth to bottom. Without downriggers your going to be guessing as to what depth your getting your lure at. So say the cold water is at 25'. Troll that depth and get your lure tuned. Keep note as to how much line you have out along with speed and lure your using. Now you can hit the deep water and target the suspended fish above that layer. I like a crawler harness with a small blade with the amount of lead it takes to get my desired depth. Second favorite lure is a Panther Martin. You'll have to troll this faster then the harness to get good rotation. Normally I don't need any extra weight to get down to 25' and can adjust my depths with the amount of line out.

I talked to a lady at the co-op in Finland who said she liked to fish for trout from the shore on Divide Lake. Is this possible and what would be the set up for that type of fishing? Thanks, Jim

I've had good luck trolling a number three floating rap. Blue/silver or Black/silver. Just flat lining out of my canoe seems to work for me. The lakes I fish aren't really shallow either. I also use a slip bobber with half a crawler and a single salmon egg. Set it at about four to five feet deep and wait. If you don't bring a book trolling is more fun.

on divide if you are limited to shore fishing try a crawler on the bottom it has worked for me there in the past. I have also had luck casting small spinners and rapalas. good luck!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If your stuck on shore you need to go to the DNR site and get the map. This time of year your going to be looking for the deepest water you can cast to. The shallower warmer water might hold smaller fish but thats not what you want.

Spool up with 4 lb mono. Use a egg slip sinker up 3/4-1 oz. on your main line then tie that onto a 2' leader and a #4 Mustad or Fang hook. Use a small split shot on your leader next to the swivel(that'll keep your worm from floating to high and take some shock off the swivel) Inflate your crawler and burn it out as far as you can. Rod selection makes a huge difference when casting. You'll have quite a bit of lead your slinging so ultra-light rods won't work.

If you have a Looper rod that doesn't have to light or heavy of an action then you OK. I like a 7-8 weight 8'fly rod tied with spinning guides and a spinning handle. They seem to load up good with that amount of lead and still have the power to launch. I prefer to open the bail and let my trout to run. If its windy then I tuck a loop of mono under a rubber band that I leave on my grip/handle.

With such long casts your line will sink and can get into rocks, weeds and logs so I use the same rod holders that I use on the Nor shore to elevate my rod.

for getting my presentation down when troling for rainbows or splake i sometimes use an inline weight from 1/2 oz to 1 oz. i was wondering if anyone has ever tried minature dipsys i had seen at gander and in catalouges. i think they could save a lot of time and hassle of letting out so much line, but i was just wondering in a MH or a M rod could hold up to one of them knowing how hard the normal sized ones pull.

A couple colors of Lead Core tied in your trolling line would help get the bait down deeper. 40' for mono to two or three colors of Lead Core and back to your backing line. Blood knots seem to work the best for me.

4-5' of depth for each color is pretty common at 1.8-2.5 mph

add on a couple more feet for the lure you using and you could be down 12-15' rather quickly (with two colors that is)