• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The late-June/early-July fishing on the west end is better in my experience than any other late-June/early-July that I can remember (maybe I have a short memory?)

The mayfly hatch started on schedule in the last week of June, and fishing was superb. But after a skimpy start, the hatch fizzled in just a few days and never really peaked at all. Rather than getting gorged on the fly hatch, the fish seem to remain in place.

Now, three weeks or so later, when we'd typically be reduced to chasing bass or sunfish, the walleye bite remains strong throughout the water column, but especially strong in the soft-bottom areas where the mayfly hatch normally occurs.

Are these fish just hanging out waiting for mayflies? What impact will this have on the late summer/early fall patterns?

the hatch is going gangbusters here in southern minnesota. Lake Peppin/Backwaters of wabasha were just saturated with them on sunday.

Hans,

The hatch never really got going on Big Bay either this summer!

I suspect that the fish you are catching in the mud are feeding on mayfly nymphs. ( Same on the East end to some extent.)

Cliff

While my wife and I were up at the Dam Lodge, June 18th - 25th, the hatch was on BIGTIME!!! The water was full from the bottom to the top. My last day out fishing was the 24th and that was the 1st day there weren't a ton of mayfly's around. The boat was covered with them each morning.

Not sure if that is a BIG hatch or not, but there sure were a ton of them around while we were there.(The weather was 90 degrees every day and very calm).

We were on the south side of Pine island for the 4th and the shore was a foot deep with mayfly leftovers. I think the hatch happened really quickly with the hot weather and then the little buggers got blown out of the food chain. Does this make any sense?