• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red Door Tourny

Labby

Does anyone know where I can find the results of the Red Door tourney this weekend?

Thanks

Lab

I DON'T THINK THAT THEY POST THEM ANYWHERE THAT I KNOW OF. THERE WERE A FEW TEAMS THAT DID PRETTY WELL. I THINK WE FINISHED 12TH. THE WINNERS WEIGHED 35 SOMETHING (SAME GUY THAT WON WAVE WACKERS). CHRIS MEYER FINISHED 3RD. THATS ABOUT ALL I KNOW. FISH BIT REALLY WELL WE PROBABLY CAUGHT 40 YESTERDAY JUST NOT THE RIGHT ONES.

Harpoon, did you pull boards and cranks? Did they have many big fish weighed? I saw an aweful lot of people running boards Saturday. Good job, 12th is very respectable.

Pretty sure there were 3 big fished weighed in on Sat( our 7.46er got aced by a 7.76er!!)I think there was one weighed in on Sunday by the winners which was 7.5 something I think.Also I heard someone got dq'd for a big fish that didn't quite make it.

Thanks, for the info

I was up all last week mostly hog huntin. We weere pulling boards and did well on WEednesday. 8 fish caught 3 slots and 5 over 22 2 over 27 and we lost another upper 20 s at the net. Saw a lot of guys pulling leadcore on the mud also.

Lab

THANKS NOVA,

I PULLED CRANKS PRE-FISHIN WITHOUT ANY LUCK. WE CAUGHT FISH ALL DAY SAT AND SUN SO REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO SWITCH OVER WE KEPT THINKING WE WOULD PICK UP THE ONE THAT WE NEEDED. YESTERDAY MORN WE HAD A 27.75, 27.5 AND 26.5 THOUGHT THEY WERE ALL GOING TO MAKE IT UNTIL YOU LAY THEM ON THE RULLER! WE HAD A COUPLE MORE SLOTS ON THAT WERE LOST THAT WOULD OF PUT US IN THE TOP 8. THATS THE WAY IT GOES THOUGH! THERE WERE A FEW BIG FISH WEIGHED AT LEAST 4 THAT I CAN THINK OF. I DON'T KNOW FOR SURE THOUGH.

THE WINNERS DID WEIGH A BIG FISH YESTERDAY I TALKED TO THEM BEFORE I LEFT, THEY ALSO SAID THEY HAD ONE THAT DIDN'T MAKE IT BY 1/16".

Harpoon, those are heart breakers frown.gif, man you had tough luck. Sounds like you had a great school of fish though.

I have a question on the "big fish" for a tourney. It has to be over 28" right? The reason I ask, is we stopped at Fisherman's Wharf this weekend for lunch and they had the Wave Wackers tourney results posted and there was a 5 Pound ? ounce fish posted as a big fish. That would be a mighty skinny 28" fish.

TRUE, BUT I AM SURE THAT IT WAS A 28" FISH. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN 5 SOMETHING BUT I BET THAT THE OUNCES WERE IN THE HIGH END, SO IT WAS CLOSE TO 6 LBS. THERE ARE SOME LONG FISH THAT DON'T HAVE THE GIRTH AND THEY JUST DON'T WEIGH UP. ONE THING THAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER IS THOSE FISH PROBABLY WEIGH MORE WHEN THEY ARE CAUGHT BUT AFTER A LONG DAY IN THE LIVE WELL THAT HAS BEEN SUCKING IN SURFACE WATER TEMPS THEY DIE AND LOSE SOME WEIGHT. BUT YES THERE WERE 28" FISH BROUGHT IN THIS WEEKEND WEIGHT LOW TO MID 6'S

YA AFTER THE FIRST 27 1/2" I WAS A LITTLE BUMMED BECAUSE THIS FISH FAUGHT HARD AND I HAD IT SET IN MY HEAD RIGHT AWAY THAT IT WAS A 28" FISH. YOU SHOULD OF SEEN THE GIRTH ON IT, IT WAS ABOUT 8" TALL. THEN WE RAN BACK UP FOR ANOTHER PASS, BROKE THE BOLT ON THE KICKER THAT HOLDS THE MOTOR UP (FOR RUNNING ACROSS THE LAKE) THAT PASS FIRST MY PARTNER HAD A 26 1/2" 5 MIN LATER I HAD A 27 3/4-27 5/8". AFTER THAT OUR ATTITUDES WENT PRETTY CRAPPY FOR THE DAY!

I was in that tourney and saw that fish. It was 28.25" and skinny as a rail, but it measured. My buddy was at lake of the woods in a tourney this last weekend and they weighed a 28" fish that was 5.36lbs. the wave wacker is early enough in the year that some of the females haven't had enough time to strap on the feed bag. They are still post spawn and real skinny. Good question though.

Sounds like you are due for a real piggie, but they almost never bite in a tourney for some reason.

Nova, thanks for answering the question because it was bugging me. I had just caught a 26.5" fish before going in for lunch and the ruler said it was about 7# so I was surprised to see the big fish listed as a 5+ pound fish. I was wondering if somebody was using a walleye stretcher that turns a 24" fish into a 28 1/4 inch fish.

Nova is exactly right on those fish. During the 02' bite there were many many 28-29" fish that were 5-7 pounds. Most walleyes over 28" on Mille Lacs seldom weigh what the card says they should in the spring/summer. For some reason the 26" fish seems to really be pigs though. They run a little above weight in the summer and I have seen several weigh 9 to 9 1/2 pounds later in the year.

Nova or Harpoon, are the Hunters point/Red Door catch and release tourneys or what happens to these big fish?

I don't know about Red Door, but Hunters is NOT catch and release. This year we took 860lbs during the tournament. The first day most of the fish are donated to the elderly and the rest you can keep if you want. I think the later tournaments have to be no release deemed by the DNR due to water temp.

Pegleg, I know what you mean. We caught 3-26" fish this last weekend and they are huge...look like they swallowed a football. Some of the over 28" fish are also real fat, but with the poor feed the last few years when they get that big they are old and going down hill, so most of the ones over 27" are not as healthy.

Nova, if I knew you were so handy on Mille, I would have made you sit down and drink a few with us in waynes shop. Matt and I were up there on saturday and lost a lot of bait on short bites on jigs, we trolled a little bit, but our experience on Mille is very limited. If we knew then what I know now, anyway, we will have to touch base about next spring's season... we will have to make sure that Eric and his brother are in the loop as well too. Tom

Picks, next time you head up there give me a shout and I'll tell you what I can. I think we are going to go to Waynes earlier next year, but yeah in November we should all touch base. Are you able to get a hold of Eric? Hopefully your next trip to Mille will be better.

We caught our fish on bobbers and spinners on the rocks and gravel. It was a long ride south!! We had a lot of fish that were over 23" But we had more smallies than anything! There were some really nice weights brought in, a 21 pound basket by Phil and his partner was pretty impressive! To bad I have to work sunday otherwise I'd fish that GNWC.

Pre fishing was good for us too I smacked a 28 1/2" nice and fat, definetly not a mud fish! 1001732812.jpg

THE RED DOOR WASN'T C&R EITHER. THE FIRST DAY THEY DONATED ALL THE FISH AND THE SECOND DAY YOU HAD THE OPTION TO KEEP THEM IF YOU WANTED.

Actually any tournament in Minnesota after June 1st will be a kill tourney, the MN DNR will not issue live release tourneys after that date because the fish apparently don't have as great a chance to survive. That is what one tournament director told me!

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the wave wacker is a release tourney and that was the 9th and 10 of June. I think the DNR goes by water temp, but I am no expert. I just know what they do in the wacker.

In the past the Wave Wacker tournament was catch and release. I believe it is no longer that way.

The Wave Wackers now and always, has attempted to release all healthy fish. The rest are donated.

I wish I would have had 2 more healthy slots for them to release !!

I received my first invitation to the wave wackers this year. Unfortunately I had a national sales meeting to attend that week. Can't wait for next year!!

There is a north zone and a south Zone, they do not issue C&R permits after a specific date in each zone. Mille Lacs is in the south zone, I think the date was June 14 this year for the south zone.

Thanks for the info. It has been a few years, but I fished an rcl. It took place in the later part of June and I was surprised to hear the DNR had mandated a catch and kill policy. At that time I believe it was determined by water temp(anything over 68 degrees is a kill tourney) Anyway I am glad to see stuff donated, but I think it is sorta sad that the dept. that should be in charge of protecting our resources can't come up with a better plan. I realize delayed mortality is high like 10-15% this time of year, but I would like to see some sort of standard release procedures and equiptment put in place to allow releases all tourney season. Maybe require the larger tourneys(50+ boats) to have a holding tank of a certain sized well oxegenated or a close proximity section of the lake with an enclosed net area where the fish can be observed for 24-48 hours(much like what the DNR did last couple of year with there net on the delayed mortality study), the dead ones can be donated the the live ones can be released. I just think it is stupid to require all fish be killed when there own studies have shown that the vast majority relased fish will survive. Sure would like to see those big fish put back if we could know they were going to make it.

Other options might be to have 1 or two tourney officials out on the water and when a big fish is called in have them go meet the guy take official length and weight measures and get them back in the water. Then add the weight to the basket at the actual weigh-in. This might not be that hard as there are usually only a handful of big fish on each tourney. Anyway what do you guys think, am I too concerned about the fish or should we be looking at better ways to do catch and release?

Bigeyes, I like your way of thinking. We need to better manage thie big fish. I know in some, maybe all, of the muskie tourneys up there they have judge boats on the lake. When you catch one you call the judge he measures the fish and it's released. Might be worth a try...can't hurt.