• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Help, Kids that want to catch ANYTHING

crownironman

I will be taking two young boys out fishing tomorrow morning, if the weather permits, and I was thinking about going to the St. Croix. These kids don't care what they catch so if anyone could give me a heads up where to go and what to use to catch anything (sheeps head, bass, whatever) that would be great. I figured we would put in at the free boat launch north of Stillwater.

Thanks

Jig and nightcrawler does great for anything. It helps if you have those stinger hooks also to increase hooking percentage, if not a Jig and half crawler will do great also. The sheepys love the crawler. Jig and minnow can works good for white bass/walleye for me jigging in shallower(4-8ft)

I focused on around 12-20ft with the crawlers around structures. Bridge pillars, sharp dropoffs, or any nice rocky flat.

I take my seven and nine year old down there. Same thing, if they can reel something up, they're happy. What I do is just find the deeper holes (get a map of the Croix.) I just use a lindy rig type setup and put on a half nightcrawler. The kids have fun because it usually doesn't take very long to get a bite. We catch sheepshead, suckers, small channel cats, etc. Good luck

crownironman,

Dont you guys have a place up on the Minong Flowage???

I might have met you b4. If you plan on making it out here agian let me know and hopefully I can help you out. I missed your post here but fish the Croix quite a bit. I usually take my niece and nephew down a couple time every year and there are plenty of sheepies and bass to keep them busy.

How did you do??? It can be a great fishery but can also drive you crazy on weekends right now with the boat traffic.