• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trail camera's and Bears

Neiko

I was thinking of getting a Leaf River IR3 camera which is coming out this month. My question is how do bears react to these things and are they going to destroy it out of curiousity? I noticed on there website the pictures they have with bears on it it seems like it is from way up in the tree looking down on them. Anybody have their trail camera destroyed by any creatures? How many people have had theirs stolen? It is a lot of money and am afraid of having it ripped off.

My buddy had just purchased a new trail camera, not sure how much it cost or what kind it was. But it was destroyed in 2 days by a bear. I'm sure he aint the only one thats happened to. Didnt even get to see what was on it.

WAG

Do you know if it was a digital or film type? I thought I read somewhere there is something about the film that they like. Well maybe I will put it up in the tree first just to give it a chance.

Ill get back to you on that, I believe it was film. Almost positive. I wonder why the would film would be a factor?

WAG

Neiko,

When my brother-in-law bought his land next to nemadji last year the neighbor told him he'd just had a camerra trashed two weeks before. it was definately film - we found chunks of it scattered about (on brothers property). made my sis nervous shocked.gif ... bro is hunting bear for the first time this year. wink.gif

Think I might agree with them both because the neighbor said it happened the first night he put it out and I'd think there'd be enough scent on it to make me leary of any critter that'd go at it. blush.gif

Think they'd be hard to find unless you posted it right on a main trail where someone might come across it and notice the flash. Even with the $ they cost it'd have to be a jerk to take it.

Wondering if we met you in nemadji a few years ago. You'd have been heading out to bait, wearing the full brimmed, green hats and your wheeler stalled until we got it going again - you headed right back to the truck rather than risk heading to the bait station.

Woodview, That wasn't me. I drive a 98 polaris explorer and hunt the north side of Nemadji. Where does your in law have his place? I butt upto the Nemadji in the Holyoke area.

As for the sis being nervous tell her I wouldn't be afraid of the bear but watch out for the mountain lions. Neighbors wife saw one down the straight away close by my bait site. Made it interesting walking out in the dark with a bow. Your brother is going to love bear hunting if he doesn't mind doing a lot of work.

I do plan on using it on my property for most of the time and maybe on state land for 1-2 days. People are pretty good I believe but every now and then you get the guy who screws it up for the rest of us.

He's a bit southwest of you if I remember my geography. Near Kerrick - he's not right on nemadji but close enough we run over there on the wheelers.

Know what you mean about the cat making you nervous - hunt WY most years and found a VERY fresh kill and tracks in the area I hit. Had my flashlight go out on me half way up the trail I was on in the dark . Had something move past me in the dark - real close by blush.gif... first and only time I've loaded a gun before hours. Had to laugh at myself later (after sunup) cause I figured that if it had been a cat I'd never have heard it. Also had one come into a boulder field on me in Montana once - they're frighteningly graceful and if you've seen the trail cam pic of the cat right behind the muley doe it'll make you think or cr*p in the dark. shocked.gif

He's not shy of hard work... at all! Got him into hunting after he married my sister just because he was such a great guy. Now he's in charge of most the planning for the mountain. Almost wish he wasn't so devoted to my sis cause then I could get him away for more time afield. tongue.gif

Hear you on the 1 or 3 guys.

Would be awesome for a station where you wanna see what's coming in. Plus if you were crafty, on your hunt you could set up a situation to use it almost like those bow mounted camerras.

From my numerous trips to BWCA and Philmont Boy Scout Camp in New Mexico we always put our normal film up because it has a smell that the Bears like.

I've never had a problem with bears eating my trail cams. Don't touch them if you have anything sweet on you're hands. If you are really worried about you're camer buy an old ammo canister and cut a hole in it for the camera. Then take a sheet metal screws and put them through the canister from the inside out. You'll get a porcupine type thing that a bear is less likely to mess with.

For what it's worth people are always getting these things stolen.