• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

shooting fish...legal or illegal?

sorry if this is a dumb question but my co workers told me that its legal to bring a bow and arrow to a lake and start shooting carp. True or not? can someone help me confirm this?

It's completely LEGAL. Thats the good news, the bad news is that you have to haul those Carp somewhere to get rid of them and that does not sound like fun.

Yes it is legal.The arrow must be tethered to the bow by a line. and buzz is right that you can not leave the fish lying on shore or dumping back into the water.

It's called bowfishing. It has become quite popular. Check out the carp/real gamefish forum for some posts on the subject.

But check local laws if the lake is "in" a city. My neighbor used to shoot carp all the time on WBL, and he got warned a few years ago that it is against the law, as an bow/arrow is a "single projectile weapon" and that is against ordinances. I still that is silly, but I never really called to find out, as I don't do it. I know you can on Bald Eagle, at least parts of it.

Up north, they do it all the time and the game warden has complimanted them on their hauls smile.gif

Get ready for some fun. Gander mountain has two kits, one at $25 and one at $110, the more expensive including a nice reel and line minder, and a video. If my memory serves, it is ILLEGAL to bowfish in lakes and streams/rivers managed for trout, so check the regs before you go anywhere. And just remember, smoked carp is GOOD.

f

I see some big carp in lake calhoun. i would like to try it there. but theres a lot of people there. i dont want them calling the cops cuz some "asian" hunter guy has a bow and arrow in the city!!!

I don't think "asian" has anything to do with it. I think people get nervous when someone carrys a bow and arrow in general...Especially around a crowded place like Calhoun.

Quote:

i dont want them calling the cops cuz some "asian" hunter guy has a bow and arrow in the city!!!

Best way in the city is to shoot from a boat around the lakes. But the Minnehaha Creek has always supported some good on foot shooting.

yeah the city lakes can be a hassle for bowfishing. Had the cops called on me once, even while in a boat. People dont understand what your doing. We usually call the park police now if were going down to the city lakes. The cops told us they didn't really care, but just be cautious because people in the Minneapolis area are deeply concerned about nature, I.E. they told us they get calls about run over squirrels etc. Bowfishing is a fun way to get those monster carp, enjoy!

Smoked carp is really good.In the spring time.Now in the summer,I stick my carp in the garden.Dig about a 4' hole and cover back up with the dirt.Good fertilizer.I also trap a lot in the winter and like to make homemade fish emulsion from the big guys.The mink sure seem to like them too.

This is a fun sport for getting some summer time practice in if you bow hunt deer.

We smoked one last week. It wasn't bad meat. Tasted like a normal smoke whitefish.

Yup, it is and the bigger they get, the dirtier it is! Just scaling a big carp will give you warts!

I knew a guy that ate a hunk off of a big Carp and the next morning when he woke up, all his teeth were gone and all his hair, except for 6 or 7 strands, was stuck to his pillow!

I know another guy that used to bury those big Carp inhis garden and he used to grow tomatoes the size of basketballs! You could'nt eat em though because you could'nt get through the skin, even with a chainsaw! That and they made a funny humming noise that kind of turned a person off?

I helped him pull some carrots out of the same garden, we would hook a chain around the top, hook it to the 4 by and slowly jerk them bad boys out of the ground...had to wet them down first, or the tires would spin...had one that weighed 112 pounds.

If you shoot those big Carp, make sure you have your acid rain gear on and rubber gloves, before you handle them and don't leave them lay on the shore...donate them to your favorite charity and take a deduction at the end of the year! grin.gif

Don't hold back Grebe, tell us how you really feel about carp! smile.gif Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

Duckslayer....I really don't have anything against carp, really, I'm just goofing around.

A big carp, he11, even a little Carp, pound for pound, is probably as good a fighter as any fish in our waters.

Those Carp provided me with alot of fishing pleasure when I was a kid. The bigger they get, the smarter they get and the harder it is to catch them...I believe that a person has a better chance of catching a trophy of any other kind of fish, then they do of catching a trophy Carp.

A 10 to 15 pound Carp will give the occassional fishermen about as much as they can handle on traditional equipment, especially if there is current.

One of them big old rubber lips like you see the bow hunters get once in awhile, you best be on top of your game and pack a lunch, if you want to land one of them broncs!

But now, if you want to talk Rockbass..... grin.gif

Hey Grebe. I have an idea. Let's not talk about rock bass. They are worse than perch. They steal bait just like em. They fight, but it's deceiving. You think you have a decent crappie or something on, then you pull up one of those nasty little bassturds. Complete waste of a fish IMHO.

You! You guy! You kicked my dog! Don't lie you FM guy! Going Muskie fishing in the a.m. with another FM'er, I'll bring my camera.

Can't wait to start tossing those plugs I got from JR's and those spinners you picked up for me.

Then it's off to get my 3 wheeler, my ice ride, I'm gonna have it all pimped out, but you are still going to have to walk...I know who you are, your goin to go to jail! grin.gif