• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Waconia

oh just curious, A guy I know is named Jeff Nelson and was in the tournament today. Thought maybe it was him.

~Matt Jung

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzzsaw

• bassman186

• ZOKU

• blakjack23

What was the name of the tourney out there? I was hoping to see how it finished. I know they have another one today as well on that lake.

The Tourney yesterday was called the ABA. Todays is a Jr. kids tournment called Bassinators. I'll be at the weigh-in at noon today just to see how these young anglers did.

~Matt Jung

buzzsaw - The guy in the procraft by any chance was the boat black and gold if so thats my dads buddy Jeff Gilmer and he told me spots and gave me lures to try but i dont know how he does it but he caught a 7 plus on thursday to..

That sounds correct!! He is a blonde haired guy with a great personality and very willing to give me info on Bass fishing. Does this sound like the guy you know? if so, ask him if he spoke to a couple guys in a Crestliner w/Yamaha 150 on Saturday around 11:00ish. I promised him I wouldn;'t give anybody his spot so I can't really describe to you where we were talking. grin.gif

P.S. he also landed a 48 inch muskie on Friday with his seven year old and had him take pictures with the fish... apparently he took two pictures of his dad.... one of the head portion and one with the tail portion.... oops.

that would be him didnt here about the muskie but you dont have to worry about his spots there already in my gps grin.gif some of them are so hard to find cause there smaller then your boat .. oh did u see smaller green and white ranger out there if so that was me

I think I saw you, but not 100% positive. I couldn't believe how much the water looked light a light almost flourescent green ocean color... maybe it was the polarized glasses?? It was pretty cool, I am fast becomming a fan of this lake!

I was also out there Saturday morning, my club had a tourney. We took off at 5:30 and I saw the other group, which based on their boats appeared to be more professional, take off at 6. Needless to say, the lake was packed. I ended up tied for 1st with 21 lb 4 oz. My bag included a 5lb'er, two over 4lbs, and one over 3. If I hadn't had two 14inchers I would have had a really good bag. I missed big bass because a guy, who only had two fish in his bag, hooked into a 5 lb 11oz slob. There sure are some big bass in this lake. This pic is from Saturday morning...

tourney3.jpg

Blackjack, were you fishing in the ABA tourney?? I agree, that lake is stacked with huge Bass!

No, I wasn't in the ABA. My club is called coca-cola bassin' classic, the guy who runs it works for Coke...go figure. It is just an amateur 14 boat league.

Awesome fish...good job in the tourney!!! I take it you didn't get to the swing away tongue project this weekend....that's alright...a guy has to have priorities...fishing and hunting trips first...then fishing and hunting gear projects....then honey-do list....all in that order.

You get those bass on power worms?

Thanks UncleJake!

No, I didn't get to the swing-tongue project because Northern Tool didn't have it in stock and its going to take a week to get it in. Luckily I am not married yet so I never have a honey-do list. Just fishing and fishing projects all the time smile.gif Gotta live the good life before I do get married.

I got all my fish on 6" Yum Dingers in the reeds. Watermelon/red flake was the key for me. I had to use 5" ones when I ran out of the 6" and they just did't seem to want those as much. Hopefully I'll get that new tongue in soon and get it put on next weekend.

You are correct Buzzsaw, that was Jeff Gilmer, who is probably as willing to share info and help other fisherman learn as anybody I've met. He fishes the BASS Federation Club Stellar. Jeff Nelson is one of the clubs top sticks too. We went out at 6:00 and had a good day too. Top weight was 18.5 with a 5 fish limit.

Its sounds like your club has a 6 fish limit. My understanding is that once 6 fish are in the live-well there is no more culling allowed since you have your daily limit. That's why we always keep to 5. Your best 5 would have been a huge bag! Our winner had 18.5. I had 12.5 which I'm very please with.

Dang I luv fishin!

Does Jeff Gilmer post on FM? If not let him know that the guy who watched him slay all the Bass on his honeyhole was thankful for the info... I appreciated it alot, especially when most guys are tight lipped about whats working and whats not working. If you see him let him know I thought highly of him and wish him the best! (Also let him know I kept his secret spot private) wink.gif

One more thing.... I was feeling guilty talking to him 30 yards away from HIS honeyhole.. he gets a bite and misses... my complex grows... he keeps talking, so do I ... then the fish bites again... he misses and laughs and says "I'll get him on the next bite"!! 10 seconds pass and he's got his tourney swing going and a 5 lb Bass headed to the livewell! I just laughed and shook my head... his call would have made Bert Blyleven jealous!

Sounds (and looks) like Waconia was good to a lot of people this weekend. I just got an e-mail from a guy who landed some nice bass out there for a tourny as well. Waconia is definitely a bass factory, always seems to put out some big numbers and some heafty fish. My two biggest open water bass have come out of Waconia, both on the same day, and they were caught 10 minutes from each other during a tourny last summer...

LM10-375x338.jpg

6.0 pounds and 5.3 pounds

LM6-333x450.jpg

A better shot of the 6 pounder

Only other largemouth bass I've ever caught bigger than those were during ice fishing. They came on a buzzbait on the inside weededge during early September.

Someone sent me a picture of a 6.4 and a 6.2 pound largemouth taken out on Waconia, both in the same day and within minutes of each other. Looks like good things do come in pairs smile.gifwink.gif

Good luck the rest of the open water season out there and keep the pictures of big Waconia bass coming! I know I've seen and heard of several other 6er's in the last couple years out there...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Matt, that 6-pounder is insane!! shocked.gif

*shrug*

Hit Waconia this morning with a buddy of mine...the wind picked up a lot sooner than the weather channel had forecasted. We had a difficult time staying on our marks even by 9 a.m... I ended up getting just two bass... the largest which was a tad over two pounds. My buddy got two bass also... his largest was a little over three pounds.

Matt, Great Bass pictures!!! WOW!!! How did you do in your tourney this past weekend??

Mike,

We finished in 3rd on Saturday. Pre-fishing on Friday was awesome, but it didn't seem to hold come tournament day. From now on I think we're just gonna bomb on purpose during pre-fishing so then we can catch more fish during the actual tourny grin.gif Right after Saturday's tourny we shot straight up to Rush Lake in Ottertail County for the Statewide LETS tourny. A long weekend none the less, but it can't be all bad if you're fishing. Although the wind kind of kicked our butt up there on Sunday when we were out in the open water. Did you make it out this weekend? (I don't know why I asked that, you fish every weekend smile.gif)...

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I was on Waconia on Saturday tossing bucktails and other goodies for the elusive muskie.... lets just say they were very elusive! Sunday was family day.... I've got a tourney this weekend on Lake Marion in Lakeville and on August 20th on Waconia. I really need to learn how to be a better Bass fisherman. I guess thats why time on the water is the ticket. Good luck up at Rush.

buzzsaw.....hows the fishing at lake marion? I was out there last sunday tubing with my nephews but I didnt see anyone fishing is it any good?

I've never had alot of luck out there but I've heard stories of guys getting Walleyes on the sand area on the south east portion of the lake over by the beach. I also hear Bassin can be good, just not for me yet. Pike population is weak.

Quote:

I've never had alot of luck out there but I've heard stories of guys getting Walleyes on the sand area on the south east portion of the lake over by the beach.

I wouldn't have thought that sand bar would be a big fish producer??

Nice fish Matt and Buzzsaw do you guys C/R or keep the bass you catch? The reason I ask is everyone says Bass really don't taste good. I fish for northern on Waconia and it seems when they don't bite the bass do and I just toss them back.

TT

Quote:

do you guys C/R or keep the bass you catch?

I don't know anybody who keeps Bass, I never have and never will. Oh wait, I stand corrected... I once saw a little man in a straw hat keep a Bass by the Narrows bridge on Tonka. It was a sad moment indeed. frown.gif It wasn't me in the picture with the Bass however... I wasn't that fortunate.

I keep Crappies and Walleyes... sometimes sunnies if I can get into a decent batch.

Mmmm. . . . bass. Yum-eee. They taste a lot like 10lb walleye, kinda like loon and a little like eagle, but much better than sheephead tongue.gif

Nope, all the bass I catch go back in the water. However, I have eaten largmouth bass before when I was a little kid, and I've had smallmouth bass occassionally in Canada when my uncle would bring back a 1 pounder or something, but I personally don't keep any. I know people who eat bass and they enjoy it, but I'd much rather prefer panfish, catfish and walleye myself.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Quote:

Mmmm. . . . bass. Yum-eee. They taste a lot like 10lb walleye, kinda like loon and a little like eagle, but much better than sheephead

I know he'd like to try Sheephead, he even told me so when he got one while fishing on my boat a week ago! tongue.gif

I will trade you wallyeye fillets forlargemouyh any day of the week they are delicious!!!!

What I want to know is who was the cute girl fishing all by her lonesome in a nice bass boat on Saturday morning??? A guy doesn't see that every day. Any other witnesses??? Or was I dreaming? grin.gif