• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Waconia

I've fished alot of different metro lakes and have yet to take on this one. I'm heading out there this Sunday morning to try the early morning Walleye bite as well as cast for the elusive Muskie. If any of you guys have any idea's I should try while I'm out there I'm open to suggestions.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• buzzsaw

• bassman186

• ZOKU

• blakjack23

buzzsaw, ive fished that lake for two years and taken one,saw plenty tho,all i can tell ya is we usually fish the weedlines about 17' of water,around the island has good potential also,up on the north side of the lake we have seen some good ones also,allot of times they are where you least expect to find them,i'll be out there at 5am sat hunting them myself. Hope this helps ya and good luck

buzz- For walleyes try deep water around the south tip of kegs has been holding fish, the deeper edges of reds, the east part of the island. The muskie action has been good- fish traditional spots but make sure to do something different- vary your spead of retrieves etc. Morning has always been better than the evening bite for Muskies and you will have less company early in the morning. If you do the same as all the other muskie anglers you can expect the same results- you will see some fish but they will not bite. Good luck

MudKing, how about the panfish? Any info on them?

Thanks Strike and Mudking! I like the advice about trying something different then other muskie fisherman... Hope to hear about your Saturday excursion as I'll post my experience as well. Thanks again guys!

I am very new to the area, so I am far from an expert (I have fished Waconia 3 times) I can say I have caught a few very nice sunnies while jigging for walleyes. I was using leeches and trolling along clay banks about 15 FOW. If you down sized and used small leeches I would think you could get a nice mess of fish. I got many many sunny bites as I moved along and the few I actually caught were definite keepers. As far as walleyes I have yet to catch one on Waconia over 15". I had a couple nights that I boated 6 or 8 fish but all small. Hope this helps and good luck.

I was out this weekend and boated some eyes along with those lovely Sheephead. It is pretty weedy around most of the lake except for Anderson Reef. I will be out earlier than 6:30 AM, differently a early lake. The eyes were caught behind the Island in 16-21' and some were caught over in Anderson.

I was out on Waconia this weekend and totally hammered the walleyes!! I fished on Friday evening and Saturday morning, and probably got 20-30 eyes each time. Biggest was 27.5, and lots were 22-24". What a blast! This lake it HOT!!

I was out Sunday and we didn't boat much at all! We did talk with a guy that landed two 48 inch and one 36 inch muskie.... another guy said he had a 50 plus hookedand up to the boat for a short while along with six other follows!! I'm excited to get back out on this lake again soon!! grin.gif

Fishermatt, what were you using to catch all these nice eyes and were you fishing deep? We caught a few on the weekend but, not the size or number. Thanks.

I was casting off of the weed edge, then retrieving back into the weeds with a weedless jig and Gulp minnow. It's a difficult way to fish because you're always in the weeds, but that's where the fish are. WALLEYENUTZ, I don't appreciate your comments, obviously you haven't been doing very well out on this lake. Low light was the key time.

Quote:

don't appreciate your comments, obviously you haven't been doing very well out on this lake

I always liked that one. blush.gif

I wish I'd have had the same luck as you when I was out there on Sunday! I had one bite off while long lining... arghhhhh

No disrespect intended Matt. I beleive that there are very few people that know how to catch quality walleye on that lake(other than in the spring). I am not one of them. I'm sorry for doubting you. Obviously you are one of the few that know.

Jon

p.s. I haven't fished walleyes in over three weeks. My fishing league is into the bass season.

anyone catching walleye latley, want to head out thursday, have not fished it for a while so where would be nice too.

thanks

Thanks Fishermatt for shareing that information, your right, that is tough fishing. Where is Richville located? Thanks again, I'm hiting the lake Saturday early with a friend who is much better at eye fishing so if we can do half as good as you did, It would be great.

I did not want to say it, but sometimes I wonder if there are even 40-60 walleyes in the whole lake.

My question is how do you catch one over 12.25-12.50" inches on Waconia?

I think the odds are better of landing legal muskies then legal walleyes any day on Waconia, not that I can do either.

I live in Saint Bonifacius. And literally 1/2 mile away from the boat launch on County Road 92/30. I don't have a boat - so I've yet to get a line in Waconia. I know it's supposed to be a decent Muskie lake... *shrug* I'll tag along with anyone... anytime. heh heh... tongue.gif

Zoku,

stop your crying, we can go tomorrow in the afternoon, later evening.

here's a few things I do differently to tip the odds on crowded lakes:

1. never set the hook straight up, always low and to the side to avoid having other boats see the hookset. I'd rather loose a fish than draw 20 boats to my location.

2. never use a net. Sure to draw a crowd when used. And always play fish to the side of the boat away from other boats if possible.

3. use heavy action rods, so others can't see your pole bent way over. Another sure way to draw traffic.

4. learn to fish heavy weeds. It's a pain in the Azz, but the fish are there and will bite at low light most times.

5. use Gulp or other larger plastic baits to avoid panfish robbing bait every 5 seconds.

Thanks again for the good advise fishermatt. I see that you fish OT which is my choice of lakes in MN but, with Lake Waconia in my backyard I have to wait again to go up to OT in Sept. Keep up the good posts.

Quote:

Zoku,

stop your crying, we can go tomorrow in the afternoon, later evening.

Ummm... yeah. Whatever. mad.gif

Anyway, if anyone ever feels like hitting Waconia - let me know. I live a half mile from the boat launch on County Road 92. Unfortunately, I don't have a boat, but if you're heading out by yourself and wouldn't mind another body in the boat - let me know!! I'd certainly be willing to assist with gas, food, beverages, etc, etc.

[email protected] <--- hit me up anytime

I was out on Waconia on Wednesday from about 6:30am 'till about noon. I was fishing for Northern or Bass and I trolled, cast, tried Center, Pillsbury, the north side, and finally at about 11:30 I caught a 2 lb Largemouth, then a 1 1/2 lb Bass. That was it. Now I know why I rarely fish it...and it is really weedy. Better luck next time.

Hmmmmmm.....Walleyenutz and I fished Waconia bass last Tuesday and did ok in my book. We boated about 30 fish between the two of us. A lot of them were dinks, but we did manage 4 or 5 that were in the 3.5 to 4.5 range. No monsters, but it was a fun day. The sad part is, I had Nutz beat for our contest the whole evening, that is until he landed three nice ones in a row during the last half hour we were there.

Was out this morning from six til noon with a buddy targeting Muskies and had ine nail my bucktail and toss it right away. There was a tourney and we watched this guy named Jeff? pull up Bass after Bass... he had a six + lber, a 5 + pounder and the rest were all over 3 lbs in his livewell. I must say it was impressive sitting there watching him nail these big Bass! I don't want to say where it was as he asked to keep it a secret... but he was using a jig and pig and working sloooooooooooooow.

Oh did I metion that as soon as we got out on Kegs bar we saw a guy land about a 25-26 inch Walleye... he released it.

Say Buzzsaw did this Jeff, was his boat a Stratos with a 200 Evinrude?

~Matt Jung