• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

small 4 stroke

DTro

Question

are there any disadvantages to a small 4 stoke? I thought I read somewhere about something bad about smaller engines. I am looking at a boat with a 15hp 4 stroke '02 Merc.

6 answers to this question

Only disadvantage I can think of is weight. I think it will be heavier than a 2stroke. My inlaws have the same motor you are looking at and its a great motor. Very quiet and smooth running. I believe 2 strokes can idle down lower but the 15hp my inlaws have will go plenty slow for trolling.

I have a 4-stoke 9.9 merc on my boat (kicker motor) and it has been awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to own another.

I'm no expert, but I heard that they are harder to start than the 2-stroke. More resistance in the rope is what I mean being harder. They have less of a hole shot than the 2-strokes, but I'd say the reliability is worth the sacrifice. Talking to my uncle, he was up in Canada last week and the rentals had all new 25hp 4-stk yammies. He said it took a lot longer to get on plane compared to the old 2-stks on the same boats. (I told him it looked as if he gained some weight wink.gif) But he also said it was nice not brething smoke all day while backtrolling.

I had a 14ft Lund with a 15hp Merc 4 stroke, 1999 vintage and ran great, trolled at idle very good, started at first pull or second.

Yes they are heavier than 2 stroke, and performance depends on boat and load, but if you put this on anything larger than 14ft you are looking for troubles.

The 2 stroke 4 stroke weight issue is more of a myth than anything in the smaller motors. The Merc 2 stroke 25 ,for example, is only 14lbs lighter than the 4 stroke Merc. The 15hp motors are even less. As for pull starting, easy. Now the bigger motors, say 115hp, there is about a 80lb difference. Pick up some literature and look at the specs. The only disadvantage would be that the motors under 40hp are carburated, so they will need to be cleaned and tuned now and then (once a year or less). Usually in the spring before you take it out the first time. If you intend to use it in cold weather, ie: hunting, the 2 stroke will start easier. If you are trolling a lot the 4 stroke will not load up like the 2 stroke. Many of my customers ask these very same questions almost daily. The 4 stroke will have a little better re-sale, if that is a concern at all.

In that size motor it will start with ease and run like a dream. 4 Stroke is the way to go in that motor. Saves ya gas, doesnt smell and is quieter.