• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

boat project

Gus

Question

I am in the middle of fabricating a casting deck for my 77 lund mr. pike and I just have a few questions.

1. What kind of "sealant" do I use to coat the BC plywood I am building this out of?

2. What is a good carpet adhesive to use for marine carpet?

3. Since my trolling motor battery will now be below deck, what gauge wire should I run for about 3-4 feet or so to my new plugs I am installing to hook and unhook the trolling motor? The plugs I bought at fleet farm accept a 10gauge wire and I also purchased a 40amp breaker to install. Is 10gauge ok to use for the short run as well? I could always buy the minnkota plugs that accept up to 8 gauge but they are 4x the price. (12 volt 36lb bow mount minnkota)

4. I am not pulling up the entire floor to redo because I want to be back on the water this season, but the small section I did have to pull up in the front was severely water damaged. The wood crumbled in my hands. I had to cut back to the second stringer from the front and I ran into good wood there. My question is: The foam under this bad section was very waterlogged. And the foam I can poke my fingers at further back also seems to have water in it. I thought foam would not absorb water? Will this remaining foam hold this water and rot the rest of my floor or will it dry out? So far the piece of foam I have taken out and set in the sun still seems very heavy with water.

Thanks for any help!

7 answers to this question

Just remember not to use too much lacquer on that wood, don't want a boat fire. Seriously though, as far as the glue for the carpet goes use Gorilla Glue (Actual brand name). This stuff is the strongest glue I have ever personally used or seen. It can be used for anything and is very strong. Anyone that has used it will second my opinion.

The underside of the casting deck you are best to coat with fiberglass resin... there is nothing better to keep the water from getting in from the underside.

The waterlogged foam is a problem.. that water will take about 1000 years to get out of there if it is covered.. the reason why it is soaking in water is because it is not CLOSED CELL FOAM.. closed cell will not absorb water.. you can do your best to try to get all the water possible out of the boat, or tear out the foam and replace it.

The best carpet adhesive to use is any quality outdoor carpet adhesive.. be sure it covers the entire surface.. this keeps the water out from the top side.

It is probably best to replace your entire casting deck and not just a section fo it... be sure the other wood isnt water looged or you will start to get good at doing this after a few times in the next couple years.

I just re-carpeted my whole boat Gus and used an adhesive from Menards. Can't remember the name of it, but it came in a black can with green lettering.

For adhearing carpet, I'd use a quality outdoor carpet adhesive. I've restored a few boats and have had great luck with using that. I can't think of the name for the life of me, but I want to say Henry Outdoor Carpet Adhesive. It comes in a quart can, which should cover your repaired area. (It covers the full front casting platform of a 14 ft with some left)

The best way I've found is to tack/staple one full end of the carpet, then use a trowel (with a 1/8 in groove) to spread the glue on the surface your attaching the carpet to. Pull the carpet tight and press on top of the carpet to bond carpet and glue, use a chunk of a 2x4 and pull it across the carpet toward the non stapled side to get any bubbles and then pull the carpet as tight as you can and tack the other side. Run the 2x4 across a few more times to ensure a good bond. Doing this process should get you a bond that will last for years and years. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I've got the glue at Home Depot and Menards. Just ask someone for outdoor carpet adhesive.

Note: Gorilla glue is great stuff, but it would be very expensive and unecessary to use for adhering carpet.

Most foam isn't in direct contact with the wood. It is put in along the stringers and most of the time doesn't fill the whole cavity all the way to the top. So it probably won't rot your floor out super fast, however, the increased humidity under there, especially on a hot day in the sun, will accelerate any decay that may already be present.

Yeah I forgot to ad the steps I took to glue'n.

I first put the adhesive on the floor board and then stood above the board with my carpet and laid it on there ever so nicely. Then I started working, with my hands, from the middle to the edges to get rid of any bubbles that could have formed. I worked it for at least 3-5 minutes to ensure that no bubbling was to take place.

I then took additional glue and put that on the edges, pulled the carpet tight to the back and then used a staple gun to put the edging in place.

TIGHT as can be and have yet to have any spots bubble up!

I did this same thing last year to the main floor and I've been happy with the product I told you about as well as the process I've listed.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Keep them coming if you have any.

Steve- Thanks for the advise on the foam. I want to tear out the whole floor sometime but right now It's too big of a project for me to tackle during the fishing season. I'd like to do it in the offseason after I get a house with more room than my current one. So hopefully the floor will make it until then.

Thanks everyone.

One last question, Has anyone made their own hatch covers? what kind of hinge did you use and how did you fasten it, carpet around or over it, etc etc? I was going to try and make my own but I can't seem to figure out a good way to do the hinges to make it strong enough to stand on and look nice. I may end up buying some premade ones. Any suggestions?