• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Are they absolutely necessary if I want to fish the great lakes? Currently doing ok with slip divers. Am thinking if I should invest in some downriggers and if so, what should I get?>

Downriggers are the most utilized tools on the Great Lakes for fishing. I think most people would agree especially starting now until the end of the year. The other things you mentioned will not get you deep enough later in the year more than likely. As for which ones. You dont need electric downriggers. But get the better manuals than anything that is just cheap. I'd recommend the Cannons but there are several other brands that will works just fine. you can also do a search under downriggers on this forum and find more info too.

There are 4 manual riggers for sale in the for sale forum now.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Like Joel said, now till the end of the season downriggers will definitely be needed. You'll still have a use for the Dipsys but when you need the precision depth control down deep especially when you start using the bigger Flasher/Dodgers with a fly and meat on the bottom your going to want downriggers.

Thanks. Is it ok to just install it on my gunwale cover? Or does it need to go into some wood?

As for the 4 downriggers on sale, I think I could get brand new ones of sufficient quality for close to 100USD each.

TSCTSC:

Gunwale or wood? Depends. Folks will need a bit more info before commenting. Gunwales can be OK, but they have to be REALLY solid, because riggers will deliver a lot of torque. You'll want them on the aft corners of your boat, and if gunwale corner supports are all you have, you may need to bolster that with wood. Depends on how strong the factory supports are. If I had a regular ole aluminum boat with those supports and wanted riggers, I'd add wood bolted through the hull. Those mounts have to take a lot of pressure. Better safe, you know? laugh.gif

I would also Recommend the Cannons. I have Big Jon Captains pack manual downriggers and I am not as impressed as with the Cannons my friend has. Also 100.00 will not buy much in terms of a good manual downrigger. My Big Jon's were like 260 each.