• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

regs on green

Quote:

There are a number of points here to make and it may look like I'm rambling on here but bear with me....

First off...

Quote:

I'm sure you are quite the "complete fisherman"....LOL.

I'll challenge you any day to a head to head multi-species showdown on a nutral lake and we'll see who's a "Complete Fisherman"...LOL!!

While I may not be a Named contact person for the prestieged In-Fisherman, I don't need to brag about my abilities with a rod and reel. I'll hold my own wink.gif

Quote:

Let me ask you...What do you consider a good fishery for walleye. You cannot expect a lake the size of Green, that gets as much pressure as does Green to be a good fishery comparable to Mille Lacs, Leech (and yes, Leech still has plenty of walleye, in fact they are biting quite well as I type), Winni, just to name a few. Green will never be on the same level as the top lakes in the state, just does not have the capacity to be and it gets more pressure per acre than most.

...and they've been biting on Green too. Just aint that many of them. I got a feeling that there's a whole slew of walker area folks that may argue the point about leech with you too, if you can maintain two fronts.

Quote:

Sure, the smallies may have had something to do with a so-called decline, but let's be realistic here. You have to admit, even if you do not want to, that this area has more "meat-hunters" per capita than any area in the state. I've seen it on Wagonga, on Solomon, on GREEN, and many other lakes where if you catch it you keep it no matter WHAT size it is. Guy's with limits of 12" walleye and stringers of 5lb plus fish is the norm. You cannot continually take-take-take and expect good fishing without massive re-stocking efforts. These lakes are not capable of producing fish on their own in the numbers needed to handle the pressure they receive.

Go to about any popular fishing destination and you'll find the same with people catching walleyes. As for the stringers of 5 lbs. plus, maybe quite a few years ago, but the regs say only 1 over 24" now. I think I've got a few pics somewhere of stringers such as that though, from the years past.

When's duck season? cool.gif

Quote:

I don't need to brag about my abilities with a rod and reel. I'll hold my own

Not bragging at all, just mearly stating my credentials on the suject since some of you have accused me of talking out my @ss wink.gif And also to explain why I was getting the calls in the first place.

Quote:

I got a feeling that there's a whole slew of walker area folks that may argue the point about leech with you too

Some may complain yes, but I have also talked to a whole slew of people up around Walker that have also told me that they are biting well right now. No one is fishing because of all the bad press, but those who are, are getting fish.

You seem or claim to know who I am, but I have no clue who you are. Maybe shed some light.

Quote:

Someone also said my statement about Smallies being native to the lake before the white man came was B.S....Think what you want to think, but I actually wrote a paper on it for my Minnesota History course in college, and I do have a degree in History by the way, and have extensively researched the subject.

Like I said, getting fish and having "good fishing" is all relative. Kinda like duck hunting eh? See six ducks and kill em all to get a "limit". It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. I've seen better times with both fins and feathers. That's what I base good on.

As for knowin' ya, I know who you are, maybe met ya maybe haven't. I dunno? Sure we've stared at one another out on mud before...lol.

DNR fisheries managers say anglers aren't catching as many walleyes due to Green Lake's clearer water, created by improved municipal septic lines and a lack of rainfall in recent years that reduced runoff from surrounding farm fields. That caused the light-shy walleyes to shun the shallows where they previously roamed and head to deeper water, making them harder for anglers to find. Meanwhile, the increasing numbers of smallmouth bass began using the shallow-water habitat.

At the same time, walleye natural reproduction and stocked fry survival were declining, a slide that had started before the smallmouth increase. One factor might have been the clear water, which allows all other fish species in a lake to more easily find and prey on tiny young walleyes. "With the warmer, clearer water in Green Lake, we've also seen an increase in rock bass, bluegill, largemouth bass, and other warm-water species," says Bruce Gilbertson, DNR area fisheries manager at Spicer.

DNR managers believe it's a coincidence that Green Lake walleye numbers have declined while smallmouth numbers and size have increased. "We can see how anglers might think that the two are related," says Ron Payer, DNR Fisheries section chief, "but there has been no documented case in Minnesota or any other state where smallmouth have harmed walleye abundance."

Well said. It makes sense to me.You I would call as a In-fisherman contact. grin.gif There are some nice sunfish in the pond there is no doubt.

bent skeg, that is some good info. i have a question for you or anyone else that has an opinion on this. from what i understand, the dnr says the water clarity is very good right now so that explains why the weeds are so deep. the sunlight penetrates into deeper waters. i also see some posts mentioning that the deep weedlines are caused by runoff from lawns, etc.. wouldn't the runoff from the lawns create more algae growing in the water, which would keep the sunlight from getting down to that 30' range where we are now seeing a fair amount of weeds? there seems to be more walleyes deeper than in the past but they seem to be deeper than the weeds. i do not understand why these fish hang out below the thermocline all summer. there is obviously enough oxygen for them but i have to believe the food source is also that deep.

If you take a look at the DNR water quality report from the link provided by stockednotnatural, you can average out the water clarity since 1996 to 2003 and see that the water quality averaged 9.65 ft. The 8 years preceedng the DNR's "experiment" ('87 - '95) the water quality averaged 9.72 ft! The DNR assertion that the Walleye have gone deeper because of clearer water doesn't add up. My previous post is taken directly from the DNR's Conservation Volunteer. The DNR obviously haven't seen the water quality report from their own website.... they really have no clue what is happening in the lake. As far as the run-off from the "palaces" on Green, with the DNR logic, the clarity would decrease and the Walleye fishing should improve.

OK, you birds, I can already see this, going into 275 or maybe 500 posts. Just because some got your fish bio degree via, cracker jacks or 12oz barley pop. I could use a beer with this warm weather and heated posts.

We all have our ideas as to who did, or didn't, stock or not stock, doesn't really help.

I do know I can go out there this year and catch FISH.

NOTE CATCH FISH: anytime I'm on the water. 15 yrs ago that didn't happen. Knowledge is the key. Try new things, new spots or just enjoy what the good lord has provided.

WE COULD BE IN THE DESERT GETTING SHOT AT BY SOME MORON.

Fishing in the willmar area is the best its ever been.

Maybe, it's time for many of us to just try something new.

• 1 month later...

tuesday night walleye league only had two walleyes for their tourney . does that show a good sign? why did lil crow anglers ask for the special regs to be dropped. we all like to fish bass but there is a limit to it walleye are a dissapering species period as far as goverment intervention maybe the governor should get in volved? it may still go to the legislature if the dnr don't weak up!castindad