• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Employment in the Brainerd area

Thinking of making the move to the Brainerd area. The area seems to be growing more by the week. My folks have a cabin east of Brainerd and the temptation is growing more by the day to make the move. What are your thoughts on the employment opportunities in the area?

Like you said, the area continues to grow. With new businesses coming to the area all the time, there are definitely opportunities. I guess it all depends on what you want to do or are willing to do and the wages you're willing to accept in those fields.

I moved to the area in '97 from the Twin Cities and I have never regretted it for a second.

Aaron

Jeff-

What are you skilled in? I could probably point you in the right direction as I grew up in Brainerd and visit it pretty frequently.

tonyjor,

I'm a cabinetmaker. Mostly commercial with some high end residential. Also finish carpentry.

My fiance' and I are feeling out our options. I use all my vacation to be in the Brainerd area plus I'm there most weekends. I may as well see what my options are.

Thanks!

Shouldnt have any problem if your proficient in any of the trades. With all the building going on somebody might hire you on the spot. There always looking for carpenters. The secret is to keep employed year round. Your wife is employable too? I left a good job in the cities to move up here in 98. it was tough at first because I didnt know anybody. start networking and things start getting better and you get some opportunities. I dont make the same money, but I sleep better and Im on the lake in 10 min. or in the woods in a couple.

I am in the same "boat" as Jeff S.

I too am seriously looking at the leap to Brainerd. I am up there virtually every weekend and know the lakes fairly well, but I need to find a job first.

I am in the Graphic Design/Web/Video Field... Where might guy start looking for those types of jobs... there has to be some? My wife could pretty much do anything she wants in the retail side of things.

Are there any good websites that show jobs just for the Brainerd area? smile.gif

You can go to www.mnworks dot com and search any area in the state. You may have to set up a username and a password to do any searches. But it gets updated daily. I believe these are the job postings that the MN Workforce Center has come through their office.

As for Cabinet Makers, there seems to be about 6 outfits in Brainerd Woodproducts Unlimited is the larger I can think of....Gull Lake Cabinets and a handful of other outfits.

As for your Web/Graphics Check out Nelson Graphics, In-Fisherman (you never know) Insty Prints has a graphics department. Action Graphics. Those are options at least.

Carpentry work in that area should not be a problem to get into up there. When I left the Walker area in April houses were going up faster then they could clear land for them. I know of a cabinet shop in Hackensack and a large one in Walker, maybe there looking for a install guy for the Brainerd area. I also have a good relationship with a few builders in the Brainerd area I could put a call in and see if there is any openings. I also know a good Motgage guy if need to buy a home. grin.gif Give me a call if I can help with anything. You will love the choice to move up there, I wish I could have stayed there.