• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kettle Falls and Canadian Report 6/24 - 7/3

Wind was mostly out of South. Thus, we hit the Canadian side armed with lots of Shad Raps. Trolled in 7 - 14 feet of water at 3.5 mph. Many 19 - 26 fat eyes. Never in my life had I wanted smaller fish, yet we had trouble catching 17.7 inch and smaller. Only hooked about 4-a-day that were small enough to eat. Colors on the eyes were interesting. The closer we got to river mouths the darker and yellowier the walleye belly seemed.

I love to jig but not with anything larger than a 1/4 ounce jig. So, trying to hover over 40 - 25 up sloped bottoms off the deep lake in the 3 - 4 foot waves was out of the question. I will agree with an earlier report that cited the large schools on the graph where the wind smashed in off the deeper water.

Tried for a few pike. Couple nice ones of 12 - 15 lbs. Of course, the big one got away. I saw her side and she shook my .99 cent spoon. Her name is Big Tonya the Big Mommya. In case you hook her, tell her she owes me my 15 minutes back that it took to lose her.

MNR stopped us near one of the rivers. Pretty nice guys. No complaints. However, Canadian Immigration/RABC folks at Fort Frances need to not give new users receipts in place of actual RABC Permits. Thank goodness we did not get a ticket.

One more note, if you go to Canada for a couple hours to sit in line for a RABC Permit, don't allow your wife or passenger to hold a 1000.00 camera on her lap as you cross the bridge back into America. It seems U.S. Customs disfavors such actions and may strip your car apart looking for Lord knows what to teach you a lesson. At least they know how to put things back together.

Finally, here is my quote of the year from a young, female, U.S. Customs/Border agent that spoke with a Russian accent. As she held up a clearly labeled package of Excedrin, she asked, "What are these for?" In response, I said, "Headaches." To that she replied, "What are they?" To which I said, "Wondrous and Magical Beans."

An hour later they had the car put back together. I don't care, it was worth it! LOL

Joe

LJ,

When you were fishing for those walleyes with the shad raps, were you on the north arm of Rainy or the canadian side of the East/west running portion of the lake? From the Kettle falls in your subject, I assume the latter.

I'm heading up to the north arm on Thursday and wondering if I should give that a try even though we will have live bait available.

Also heading up to the east/west portion later in the summer and the family is armed with an RABC and I-68 so we may try the canadian side over that way as we camp on the US side. In this case, I would only be able to take crawlers or artificials over the border for the day.

Thanks for the report.

ccarlson

Bitz: not this time. After going up through RedGut all the way to Trout Lake’s incoming falls, I was tired of seeing so many houses and cabins dotting the lake shore. We were looking for the most remote portion we could find. We may try for Cascade in a couple weeks. Thank you again for your advice.

CCarlson: as you thought, we were fishing the Canadian side from a line due North of Anderson Bay all the way to the West, and to the North of a line from Kettle Falls. Morning, High Noon, and Night, the Shad raps worked...even an ugly Cayman Island Blue one landed fish. I was surprised at the size of the walleye....even the pike reminded me of Lac Seul pike...really nice sized.

FYI on the I-68. We were sitting in the office at customs and the agents were rather dismissive in regard to the actual need to secure an I-68. They were more like, "just call in when you get back." I pressed the issue with regard to the short, fishing diversions into Canadian waters. I specifically asked if there was a need to call in if we slept in the U.S. but fished in Canada. The response was, "just check in once you get 'established' back in the U.S."

To me, this means don't call in (even if you can) every time you cross the border.

******* I must provide this disclaimer to all who read this. *******

Please keep in mind, no matter what a single agent or group of agents say to you, the bottom line is the Statute. For Federal Laws, they are written in codified form. If there is a conflict, the written law will always trump what an agent of the government tells you. If such an agent provides you with inaccurate information or advice that is in conflict with the written law, it is not a defense, for you, to claim you justifiably relied on the word of an agent.

I know this seems unfair, but the Supreme Court of the United States decided such a case some time back when an agent for the Bureau of Land Management allowed a land lease to be renewed even though the application came in 24 hours after the deadline written in the law. The BLM agent thought he would bend the rules slightly to allow for the extenuating circumstances. Although the actions seem fair and just, the bottom line is the BLM agent did not have the statutory authority to extend the deadline. Only Congress had that power.

So, for what it is worth, I would use the advice given by the local agents that is in conflict with the statute only as a guide to understand the local custom and how they choose to enforce the statute, on that day. But again, that oral advice is meaningless if you try to use it as a defense to a charged violation.

When I go back, I will be taking my own advice and getting the I-68 for 2005.

******This posting in no way establishes a legal relationship between the poster and any reader. It is simply an informative, non-legal opinion on the author’s past and recreational experiences.****** Sorry guys, had to post the disclaimer… C-Y-A. shocked.gif

Joe

While the trip up the main north arm is not with out cabins, they are by far, a lot less. Even the run up the little canoe past the old cabin and little canoe lodge is pretty nice, lots of high granite bluffs on the one side and grass shallows on the other.

Bitz

When I got our I 68 I asked the agent what the guidelines were. He said to call when you cross back over the border. When I asked what to do if I don't have cell reception he said to call when I do get reception. He said that if I get stopped and checked by border patrol I could simply show them my cell phone that has no signal and tell them that I was just on my way to make the call. Pretty uninforceable really. He said there are a lot of basic problems with the system. Good to have though incase we do get stopped.

There is a video phone for remote customs crossings located at bowens (sp?) landing where you would not even need the I 68 if you check in there.

Thanks for the info on your fishing report.

ccarlson

Hello,

Did you make back into Stokes Bay? I undrstand that there is a resort in the bay?? Thanks