• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Which Fishing Line is Best????

What kind of line is best? Is Firewire or spider worth the money? or is Trilene & Stren will do just fine?

Depends on the situation and type of fishing. But for the super lines, I personally like PowerPro the best. Tuff Line is a close 2nd. I still used mono for some situation though.

looking for a tough line but with good casting and less kinks & frails

I really depends on what type of fishing your plan on doing and what presentations. There are pro & cons of mono and super lines. The biggest advantages of a super line is the smaller diameter you can hold more line, more strength, no stretch, and super sensitive.

I'd say grab a spool of PowerPro and see if you like.

Good luck

Personally I really like Fireline. I've been using it for several years.

That said, when this topic came up earlier this spring, there was an overwhelming clamor for PowerPro, so I recently bought some & plan on spooling up a rod to see how it performs.

I love Power-pro. For mono, Trilene XT and XL are good lines. I would stay away from Stren. I tried some this year because it was on sale and it was junk. I think I lost 4 lures, and several with no fish on, before I scrapped it and threw on some Trilene XL. I will never buy Stren again.

After 2 years of trial and error... I have settled on 8lb Fireline with a three foot leader of 20Lb Vanish fluorocarbon. Seems a great combo. Low stretch.. great for clear water.. strong... Haven't yet lost a fish due to bite off nor breakage (besides a few bad knots.. my fault).

I'm using Fireline with 8' of 17lb. Vanish leader and it works great - unless the Northerns are aggressive. Then I move up to 30lb. Vanish and sometimes even that gets bitten off.

I haven't tried PowerPro yet, but I've heard nothing but good about it.

Power Pro is great stuff!

-I've got 50 pound spooled on my catfish rod and you can pull small snags off the bottom of the river with it. Its a pain in the butt to get hung up because the stuff is so hard to break.

-I also respooled a few ice rods last winter with the 10/2 lb Power Pro. Worked great. More and more of my Fireline rigged rods are getting Power Pro.

-For mono, I've really taken a liking to P-Line Floroclear or Floroice.

All of my ice rods this winter will be spooled with either 10/2 lb Power Pro or 4 or 6 lb P-Line Floroice. My panny rods will have 2lb P-Line Floroice.

Ditto what Chris said and I've fished almost every line there is. My only addition would be if you need a hi vis mono (great for jigging/pitching on the Mississippi) I suggest Maxima Fibreglow. I hauled in a 40+lb flathead on 6lb test so it holds up well.

I can vouch for Mark on that one. That Maxima stuff is incredible! For all around mono I'm cool with Trilene XT also.

As far as superlines, I've beat this one to death but PP is just awful stuff. I've lost more fish due to line breakage, no matter what pound test. Stick with Fireline and you won't have those problems. Maybe it's just me...I seem to be the minority on this one. confused.gif

TB, I don't think its so much the PP. I think its more the fact that you're a bad fisherman. wink.gif

I too agree that PP is awesome stuff! Mr. Special turned me onto that stuff last spring and looking back I don't know if I could live without it! grin.gif

TB,

Funny thing is I've used the line off that baitcaster you had it on and haven't had a problem with it. I think it's just you bud.

Later have fun in Canada

I WOULD SAY THAT 8LB XT AND 10/2 FIRELINE ARE MY FAVORITE LINES.

I converted to all power pro last year.

On my crappie rod, I have 10lb powerpro, 2lb line diameter. Can't go wrong with that. On my medium/fast action rods, I have 20lb powerpros on there and on my muskie rod, I have 50lb powerpro on there. Haven't looked back ever since grin.gif

Quote:

TB, I don't think its so much the PP. I think its more the fact that you're a bad fisherman.
wink.gif

I'm thinking just the opposite. I get strikes while everyone else goes empty handed. tongue.gif

Looks like you've been getting some decent bass btw. Nice pics on the Med thread.

I'd have to give PowerPro a try and fireline as well. thx for the feed backs

Do you guys get kick backs form power pro or what?

I've tried that stuff and will never use it again, I lost lures and fish cause of that junk. All but one of my rods has spider on it. I've pulled a 6.5 pound bass though the weeds along with about 10 pounds of weeds and the spider line help up. ("SPIDER" NOTHING GETS AWAY.)

Quote:

Do you guys get kick backs form power pro or what?

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

I probably shouldn't have opened my mouth so soon about Power Pro. Last night, I snapped my line on my only two Flathead cat runs. I got a good hook set into the first but my drag was cinched down a little too tight and boing! Second run, the stuff snapped right on the hookset. frown.gif

I've already decided to respool with 80lb PowerPro rather than 50. When you are talking about 30-50 pound, strong swimming fish in current, better to be safe than sorry.

Another thing to remember about the superlines is what type of knot you are using. I feel that if you are using anything other than a Palomar, you could be experiencing knot failure rather than line failure.

I can't believe you guys didn't even say the Yo-Zuri Hybrid line for mono. It has to be one of the smoothest, casting, and sensitive line I have ever had. It's (Contact US Regarding This Word) strong for a mono also. It's actually not really even mono, it's flurocarbon nylon. I don't like all those super lines because you get crazy knots if you are flipping or jigging jigs. I think the super lines work great on less action presentation like trolling or still fishing. Give the Yo-Zuri Hybrid line a try, you'll like it.

FireLine - all the way. *shrug* Not had any problems or any lost fish due to this stuff. But... to each his own. cool.gif

Fishin13,

Here's my favorite super line: "Hey Babe, are you from Tennessee? Cuz' you're the only Ten I See"

I've landed lots of "numbers" this way, but no "keepers"

I've never landed anything with non-super lines.

Thanks, and good luck.

Great post, chief.

I have been using PP for about five years now, and I can honestly say that if I have been "broke" off 25 times, 10 of those were the pesky pike, and the other 15 were my knot. I have never had the line itself break. I have found it is imperative to tie a good knot with PP, even more so then most lines. Also, I wouldn't give the stuff up for anything.

I have tried every line available and seemed to dislike all of them for some reason. Horrible casting, line getting tangled/twisted for no reason, and breaking off on fish alot or even while tighten up the line to the lure. The SIEGE brand of line I have found to be the best for what I do... Bass fishing Tournaments. This line doesn't tangle/twist and it casts long and straight and most importantly it hasn't snapped off on a fish yet since I've started using it at the beginning of this season. Great stuff.

SIEGE? *shrug* I'm sure I've seen it before...? But never tied it on.

My thoughts:

1. As a rule of thumb, for applications in which you'd normally use mono of 8lb., or less, stay with mono. If you go any heavier, use super lines.

2. Actual, tangible differences between brand name lines are nearly inconsequential. It's far more important to properly spool your reel with adequate amounts of line (Most people load line onto a spool in a fashion sure to result in twist. Also, most people drastically "under" spool.)

3. Though initially more expensive than mono, super lines are a great long term value as they are unaffected by UV rays, deet, and other chemicals. All of my musky rigs are currently on their 3rd and 4th seasons with original spoolings of super lines, and show no signs of major wear.

4. As for "general", "all around" pike and bass fishing in Minnesota, it would be extremely difficult to beat a baitcaster on a 6 1/2 foot medium action rod with 30 lb superline.

5. If using super lines, fill 90% of the spool with cheap mono, and top off with 80 yards, or so, of super line.

well so far so good for the PP line. bought some and using it now. so far I like it. thanks for the inputs