• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am looking for advice on good fishing lakes to plan a canoe trip on in the BWCA. Last year I went to Seagull and Jasper in late July and did have great success fishing although the 90+ weather may have had something to do with it. I was thinking about entering on Seagull or going up to Moose Lake only because I'm familiar with those lakes. Any advise on where to find some nice walleyes in June out there? Any other favorite lakes that I should take a look at?

sschwarz...Ever consider heading North up the Echo trail and fishing Upper and Lower Pauness? This is a great paddle and the fishing on Lower Pauness can be great for eater sized walleyes. Devil's cascade where L. Pauness flows into the Loon River is a beautiful spot with a 100 foot water fall and excellent fishing on the Loon River. If you want more info on this area I will be happy to help.

alaskander70,

I would be interested in some information on that area. We are going to be heading in EP #14 which is LIS North the last week of June. We are going all the way to North Lake. We were thinking of trying to do some fishing on the way in around devils cascade area. Any suggestions would be great. We are also planning on coming back through Shell and Heritage fishing for Walleyes. thanks for any help. If you prefer you can email me.

I would try Sunday lake for some great fishing. I have been there 4 openers in a row and the group has caught many 10-18 pound northerns (majority released because I am not portaging fish out of there). I also had quite a bit of luck with the eyes, although nothing over 3-4 lbs. I was the only one fishing for eyes, my buddies only like the northerns so we didn't cover much of this small lake.

This lake is quite a bit of work to get into, but we found that the stuart river was the better entry point than the Angleworm lake entrance plus the initial portage into the Stuart river is like a half mile shorter that going through angleworm. And you need one of those primitive wilderness area permits in addition to your normal entrance permit, but that assures you won't see anyone else. One day all the way in is possible as that is what we always have done to maximize fishing time, but it is a long 13 miles either way.

Good luck deciding on a place.

[This message has been edited by hans1159 (edited 05-02-2002).]

I have posted elsewhere, but sounds like some good ideas here. I am also looking for some smaller lakes, under 1,000 acres, where my son and I can take a small boat and 9 horse and finally catch more than a couple walleyes during our week "up north." Echo looked like a possibility though a long drive from Ely and Eagles Nest 2 also looked good...but hard to tell from here in Kansas. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

alaskander70,

What entry point is that through? Sounds like what we're looking for.

Steve

Heritage has some really nice walleyes. Pauness, while not well known for it, can produce some nice smallies.

Shell Lake has some nice panfish and good sized northern pike.

------------------
John and Lynn O'Kane
Voyageur North Outfitters
Ely, Mn 55731
1-800-848-5530

sscwarz...I believe that the Little Indian Sioux portage is # 14. It is a lot of fun and once you cross from lower Pauness into Upper Pauness there is a short 5 rod portage and there are currents and a pool where the water dumps into. This can be a 50 walleye a day location if your there early in the season. I really enjoy this area and if you want specifics as to where to fish and details on the Shell Lake portage just drop me a line.

[email protected]