• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3 1/2 shotgun

10 ga, 12 ga or 20ga. 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2". some people get so caught up with numbers and the tim taylor complex...MORE POWER, that they fail to recognize the gun is only a tool. the gun that will provide the most enjoyment and reliablity is the gun that you shoot best. i have sat next to guys with 10's while i dumped more geese with a 2 3/4" 1100. i own 9 shotguns including a 10ga and 2 3 1/2" 12's and my trusty 1100 outshhots them all simply because its the gun i am more familiar with and the one that i shoot best. i've shot my 10ga bps for the past 4 seasons and i still find myself trying to push a nonexistent safety on the trigger guard because i just cant get used to the safety being up on the back of receiver. i have the same troubles with my nova and its safety being on the front of the trigger guard.

WHY CANT THEY ALL PUT THE SAFETY IN THE SAME GOLDARNED PLACE?!!

One of our buddies has a 3 1/2 inch chamber but he only uses 3 inch shells in it because it seems that every time we get good close shooting, his gun jams because the 3 1/2 inch shell ends are too long after he shoots the gun. So, he usually only gets one shot off at greenheads or honkers that you could hit with a broom over our dekes. He has a Mossberg but, is there a difference in the company like mossberg that the chamber is made shorter than say a Benelli 3 1/2 chamber?

I know you guys all like the nova and the mosbergs but

I really like the way that remington felt when I put it up on my shoulder for the first time but with all this talk about the nova I'll look into that as a good option. thanks for all the info now I have three choices to think about.man you guys make my life tough tongue.gif one more question.What does a nova run price wise? thanks

Usually about $350 new, but if you watch for sales you can get it for around $325 or less. My son and brother in law each got one last year for $299 in camo. You won't be sorry with the NOVA

I will have to put in another plug for the Benelli Nova. I have had one for 4 years now. No problems at all. I use it alot. I take care of it but it gets pounded durring the fall. It gets wet, muddy, busts through brush. You can not hurt this gun. It is well worth the money. The 3.5" "heavy" loads (like tungsten, tungsten iron) are great to use in the gun.

The only slight drawback I can see when compared to an 870 is accessories. The market is flooded with stuff for 870's. It is tough to find much for the Nova and if you do it is comparatively expensive.

You Benelli guys all love that Nova and that's fine, but the 870 is without doubt or debate the most proven and time tested pump shotgun made. I still shoot a 870 wingmaster that my dad bought USED in 1952 or 1953. That's a 50 year old gun and I shoot it every single fall...

I second the 870 baby! tried convincing my brother to get one but he opted for the mossberg 3 1/2 pump instead...probably worst decision of his life, but when he can get more than one shell to cycle through the thing on a given flock he does manage to pound the honkers.

SA/wdw

I have shot a Browning 3 1/2 BPS for 9 years and i love it. I can say that gun has been through everything. From droping it in a river and diving down to get to shooting 400 rounds through it shooting trap. The only thing is that it weighs as mush as a small child. I bought a benelli SBE camo 3 1/2 a couple weeks ago. That nova just looks fake to me. It should have a orange plastic end on the barrel like a cap gun or play army gun or something. Just my opinion.

Quote:

I know you guys all like the nova and the mosbergs but I really like the way that remington felt when I put it up on my shoulder for the first time

minniwinni - if that's the case, go with your gut, buddy. If it fits you and you like the feel of the swing and how it shoulders, make the purchase. Don't let anybody else's opinion override your own since you'll be the one shootin' it. Everybody has their favorites for various reasons...time to make your own decision!

However...if you still can't decide, you should probably look for a WinBrowRemMossElli shotgun. Then you'll have the best of ALL of these guns! wink.gif I'll warn you, they get a little spendy though...

thanks blaze I'll have to look into that winbrownrem what ever tongue.gif thanks fo all the replys. But I have a 870 on hold till I get about 60 more dollors and i'll be shooting tons and hitting easy.

Yep, when it comes down to it. Who cares what you shoot. You need whatever is comfortable for you.

Lawdog, you're right the 870 is a fine gun. I have a 20ga. and 2-12 ga's in my safe, but the model "T" use to be a great car too. I still shoot my 870's once in a while, but I never leave home without my nova. Does Remington make an 870 in 3.5" chamber? If they don't they should. Just my 2 cents.

Nova. Yes Remington does make a 3 1/2" 12 gauge 870.

And the difference with the Model T is that people came up with better ones, which nobody has done to the 870!!!

Remington also make the 11-87 in the 3.5 for you auto lovers. Theres a great felling I get when the 870 comes up. If you have a good fitting gun thats the place to start. Remeber when you buy a gun you will either get rid of it in the first year or you will hand it down to the next generation.

Sifty