• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going up to Vermilion (Muskego Bay)for the first time the last week in July. Family trip, so I'm looking for some good panfishing for the kids, but the big kids will also be gettin' up early to go after walleye, pike & smallies (not too picky). I'm pretty well equipped but just want to make sure I'm prepared (any excuse to go to the store to buy tackle. right?). Any location, presentation, trend info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Brad

Brad,

I'll see you there. We'll be staying at Muskego that same week. You couldn't be in a better location for the kids to fish, seriously! The dock fishing alone can be fantastic at Muskego Point. Both Muskego and Indian bays are also great spots as well. Joe and Jenny will take good care of your family.

Excellent. Getting pretty fired up. Actually staying adjacent to the resort at a friend's cabin (around the point to the east I believe), but I'm sure we'll be over there for odds and ends. Any tackle must haves?

Brad

The kids will do great with half a leech and a float. If they can cast spinner baits get a couple with orange as your primary color for pike in Waconda,Indian and Muskego bay. They will most likely catch their share of snakes. It's a lot of fun for them. Spinner baits in general will be great for eating size pike. You're on your own for 'skis. I throw glide baits and inlines the most. Bass seem to like tubes around the docks and reefs. We just pull up to a weed edge or dock and beat the thunder out of em'. Be sure to save some fishing for us too! wink.gif

Look for the white Tracker Magna 19 and say, "Hi."

Thanks for the info. Sounds like we won't have to go too far to catch a few. We'll definitely keep an eye out for you (I'll be in a blue & white Smokercraft).

Don't forget that all northern pike 24-36 inches must be immediately returned to the water. And a 23 inch pike isn't much of an eater. :-(

Yeah, thanks for the reminder on the slot. We don't keep any fish for the freezer so I don't think about the slot much until I get there and check on the current reg's. We're lucky if we eat 1 meal of fresh fish while we're there. Pretty much all CPR for us. At any rate, good luck!

Thanks for the reminder on the slot. Planning on catch and release with the exception being if we get into a few eater sized walleyes to make a meal. Any word on the walleye bite lately?

Was up to the Big V last Friday 7-1 to Wednesday 7-6. Found the Walleyes to be biting best early in the morning and late at night on reef that are 15 feet. Best time was Tuesday morning from 5 to 6 am. Slip bobber with leaches.

I'll be getting up early and sleeping the mid-day away on the dock!