• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm heading up to Basswood Lake the weekend after the opener, just wondering what depth the walleyes are usually at during the middle of May? I usually pitch a 1/16 to 1/4 ounce jig tipped with a female fathead during May which produces good results around the Park Rapids Area. Any other suggestions or does the Same hold true for The Ely Area (Basswood Lake)during May?
Thanks

SharpHooks...Jig and a minnow work very well on basswood! One of the spots that produces well especially in the morning and evenings is the rapids just over praire portage on the Basswood side. The current is divided by the U.S. and Canadian border so your limited there, but that can be very good! I also like to fish Inlet bay and intercept the walleyes that are heading back into the main lake after spawning. Wind Bay and Hoist Bay are also great bets in May!

Sharphooks,

What side of Basswood are you fishing, Pipestone/Jackfish or Prairie Portage? If you are fishing the Prairie Portage side walleye fish can be tough early in the year. The falls at the portage are your best bet. The island in back of wind bay, hoistbay, and back bay would be your next best bets. If fishing the bays look for them in about 4-8 feet on rocky/gravel shoreline.

If fishing the pipestone side try start at pipestone falls if the DNR has opened it. If they are not biting there or it is still closed try fishing around New York Island. There is also Lewis Narrows to try. The Pipestone side tends to be a better for spring walleyes.

Minnows are fine, I prefer rainbow chubs on a chartruese or orange jig. Stop and see John and Lynn at Voyageur North in Ely for your bait. I am sure John will also help mark a map with the spots I just talked about.

Good Luck!

David Swenson
http://muskieguide.homestead.com/

Thanks David,
I aprreciate the tips, We will be fishing In Pipestone Bay and Jackfish bay. Thanks again I appreciate it.
Good fishing to all!!!