• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My wife doesn't go fishing often, but has gotten in the mood to go now. Not fishing frequently, she has trouble with the subtle walleye bite, so I was thinking of trying for panfish. I haven't fished for panfish in eons. What would be a good local lake to try? For sunfish - what would be the best bait? Not excited about getting the boat dirty with worms/crawlers. Will waxworms, small leeches or crappie minnows do as well? {Prefer east of Bemidji}

Otter,

Give Grace a try. Allways some decent bluegill and crappie on the bite there. Small leeches work the best as they stay on the hook better and last longer. A simple jig and float presentation in the weeds or right on the weedline should do the trick!

Thanks Brian, Grace was high on my list - I've heard it is good and it's not far from where I live. I still have those musky lures if you are interested. I haven't been to Cass yet, but plan to get over for a few days eventually, so may see you then.

Otter,

I've heard a number of people talk pretty highly of the PowerBait that looks like wax worms. I don't have any experience with them. Like you, I haven't fished for panfish in a long time. But working at Gander Mountain (in Baxter), I've been hearing positive comments about them. I believe they come in a package of about 75 for about 4 bucks. They'll definitely stay on the hook longer than the real thing. You won't have the mess of crawlers. And your wife shouldn't mind touching the bait!

Aaron

Otter,

I am still interested in the baits if you don't mind holding on to them for a while longer. Do you still have the rod and reel?

AWH,

I have your baits ready for you if we are still on for this fall! Thinking real big fish!!

Brian,

Sounds good, I like real big fish! Late October and up until ice up has been good to me on Cass. As we get closer to fall, I should have a better idea of what my schedule will be looking like. I'm currently working weekends so that I can get on the lake during the week instead. So hopefully that will continue.

Aaron

Growing up on Grace Lake for 14-15 years... I have to say that the sunnies will attack anything but I have a problem finding some nice ones even though I dont fish for them but have caught some on my small crawfish crankbait, and my bass jig with 7 in. Gulp worm.. There are plenty, I would say work the reed lines since they are so high now.. crappies are spotty right now so, not big like the last 3 years but anyways good luck. You can also try Midge Lake they have some nice gills in there.

Quote:

Otter,

I am still interested in the baits if you don't mind holding on to them for a while longer. Do you still have the rod and reel?

I haven't sold anything yet, but definitely want to lighten my inventory soon. I don't throw for muskies much anymore, so I have way more equipment than I will ever need.

Quote:

Otter,

I've heard a number of people talk pretty highly of the PowerBait that looks like wax worms. I don't have any experience with them. Like you, I haven't fished for panfish in a long time. But working at Gander Mountain (in Baxter), I've been hearing positive comments about them. I believe they come in a package of about 75 for about 4 bucks. They'll definitely stay on the hook longer than the real thing. You won't have the mess of crawlers. And your wife shouldn't mind touching the bait!

Aaron

Thanks AWH, I haven't had great luck so far with Gulp! minnows, but the sunnies might be a little less fussy than the walleyes.

Quote:

Growing up on Grace Lake for 14-15 years... I have to say that the sunnies will attack anything but I have a problem finding some nice ones even though I dont fish for them but have caught some on my small crawfish crankbait, and my bass jig with 7 in. Gulp worm.. There are plenty, I would say work the reed lines since they are so high now.. crappies are spotty right now so, not big like the last 3 years but anyways good luck. You can also try Midge Lake they have some nice gills in there.

Since they are so close together, I was thinking of starting on Grace and switching to Midge if the action wasn't good on Grace.