• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Formula Propeller - Brooklyn Park

Gadgetman

Question

Have had a couple guys tell me these guys are really good at propping boats. Any of you guys on here had any experience with them? Am about to take the plunge and start looking for the "perfect" prop for my rig and dont want to waste time (or $) with a shop that is just guessing

5 answers to this question

They fixed my MinnKota there. Not sure about other services. But they did a good job on the Kota in a day or two. I noticed a place called Lance's Prop shop on Brookdale Drive-looks like the guy works out of his garage, might be worth checking out.... smile.gif

Hi Gadgetman...

I bought my last two props from Formula. Do they know their business.... YES. However it does come with a price. Not only the cost of the prop, you may have to deal with a somewhat "opinionated" staff which can take some of the fun out of your new toy.

For my OMC motor, it took three trips to their shop to get the correct prop. No problem there. It was my first high perf prop and I was prepared for a little R&D. They even went as far as to re-hub a prop, on my request, to insure I got the correct one. I did end up with the right prop, but it took quite a bit of driving to get it done.

My second purchase (for a Canadian model Yamaha 75) turned into a bit of a "soap opera". Being schooled from my first go-round, I did a ton of research before hand in an attempt to eliminate possible problems. I found a prop configuration that I was sure would work. Called Formula and told them about my boat, motor and the data I had collected. I was then complimented on my research smile.gif and was told they had that exact prop in stock. grin.gif As it turned out, the prop they had was the right configuration (pitch, diameter, rake, blade cupping) and did "fit". However it was a Merc prop and not one built specifically for a Yamaha. Granted, that the splines were the same, but if I'm going to shell out BIG bucks for a prop, I want the RIGHT one for my motor. Too picky? Maybe. But we're talking $400+ of my hard earned dollars. After quite a bit of the old "hard sell" from them, telling me that "they do this all the time" and that "it was the exact same prop". I stuck to my guns and they finally agreed to order the prop built (correctly hubbed and splined) for my Yamaha. After quite a lomg wait, I did end up with the perfect prop for my boat. Great hole shot AND a better top end.

All thing considered.... Would I do business with them again? Probably. Although the whole sale process left me a bit "dry". When it comes to props, they plain and simple, know what they are doing. My suggestion to you is to do your research. And a lot of it. Know the weight of your boat as used. What do you do with your boat? Is it just for fishing or also a pleasure craft for tubing and such? What's your RPM at WOT? What's the recommended operating RPM of your motor? Take a few notes on top speed and overall performance with your current prop. (Note: For speed calcs, use a GPS. As the boat speedo can be a bit off.) What do you want out of this prop? Top end or hole shot? Higher RPM or lower?

Know basically what you want BEFORE you talk to them. Just be prepared for possibly a less than satisfactory sales process.

(Disclaimer: In this post, I am only describing MY experience with the folks at Formula. This is not meant a slam on them in any way. Maybe I just caught them on a bad day. Who knows? You'd be had pressed to find a shop with more prop savvy then Formula. As stated above, I would probably do business with them again. I will however look into other shops as well.)

Thanks for the response Moose Hunter, sorry I didnt get back earlier but was gone for a long 4th wknd. I will keep your thoughts in mind and probably would have to agree with you that they may be a bit "quirky" but also seem to know their stuff pretty well. I can handle people with strong opinions as long as they know why they have that opinion. I cant stand people that are wishy washy, especially when I am paying for their expert opinion. Glad to hear that they were able to get you set up to your satisfaction. Sounds like a happy ending to me smile.gif

I got my last stainless prop from them and with less typing than Moose, I'd second his thoughts. Actually, I remember chuckling at the whole process of getting a prop from them. I went in with the neophyte attitute, "I've got this boat this motor and I want to go faster, what do I do?" I left with a prop that works great but as stated the sales and service process is "unique" to say the least. That said, my prop works great, but I'm glad I don't have any service issues with it because I'd be afraid to try to resolve any issues with them.

I purchased a balistic stainless prop from these guys a few years back.At the time they told me it was the best product on the market.I eventualy sold the boat and kept the prop thinking i would trade it in on a new one that would fit my new outboard.When i brought it back they told me it was junk and would not give me anything for it.I reminded him that he had told me it was the best thing out there when he sold it to me and promtly started and argument with him.Needless to say i would not go back there again.They are knolledgable but you would think they would be a little better in the customer support department.Burl.