• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Box that holds sonar for ice fishing...

Some of the recent posts mentioned ice fishing so while I was in the spirit I thought I would ask if there is anywhere in town I can buy a simple carrier to put my little 12 volt battery and a sonar. Something I can pick up and walk off with. I see a lot of these for sale, e.g. Genz systems, but always with a sonar. I don't need another sonar. Just want the portable case.

Any of the vexilar cases should work: UC-100 Ultra Case, BC-100 Genz Case, P-160 Carrying Case, P-100 Carrying Case. the P-100 would be your cheapest option if you wanted to go that way. The only case I've usually seen in stores is the BC-100 Genz case. Hope that's what you were asking about...

you would probably find it at Gander Mtn. in town if they're in stock this time of year

Cove,

My fish finder stores and carries real well in an old crock pot case. It's an insulated case that has a zipper that opens an closes around the top. It has a little extra room in it for some smaller things too. It really works good.

He's not yanking your chain either! I fished with him last winter and carried what I thought was going to be a pile of tender vittles only to discover battery acid and bolts when he uncased my "lunch". lol

Either way or whatever way, I have seen quite a few ingenious devises created or substituted for cost effective ways to meet an end. The Genz blue box was a favorite of mine. Check some rummage sales.....I have found tons of goodies at those sales.

When canoeing I use a cheap plano toolbox from fleet farm. Bolt the finder on top to use, unbolt and put inside to store.

Same thing might work for ice fishing.

Some good advice, and some things I had not thought of, which is why I love internet forums. I might try the plano thing with an old plano I have. Fact is, I am actually setting this up for a Sub-Trol 900 so I can monitor speed and temp at cannon ball. I only use this a week or so out of the year and rather than screw another electronic device to my crowded dash and rish messing up the wiring on my main fuse box, I got the bright idea to run this off of a small 12 volt...treat it just like a portable sonar. I will look into the other commercial things also. I am facing a time crunch so if not available at Gander I will do the plano thing.

Couple of 6 volt lantern battery will run a LCD sonar for a week of fishing and canoeing.

Cove.....Toss me an e-mail. I may have a power source for you.

I've built several boxes that work well too. I even have a plan that I saved from a MN Sportsman mag somewhere around here. Let me know if you're interested.