• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

minn kota has mind of its own

ssaamm

Question

Help!! My minn kota trolling motor has become possessed. the throttle sticks and it only turns to the right when I use the foot control pad. It won't go to the left. Would this work for NASCAR or not? I can't remember. When it's in the AutoPilot mode it will turn to the left. This makes me think that the controller had gone bad, and that the motor itself is ok. Do you think that this can be fixed? Or, do I need to buy a new control pad? I appreciate the help. thanks

5 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Use an electrical contact cleaner and clean the plug to the foot control.

I think it has got something to do with the foot control or your remote control. Check your plug prongs and if that fails, try to get a friend's foot control and see if the problem continues. Usually it would be a control problem rather than the motor itself.

I had similar problems with my new 70lbAP. It would sometimes turn on its own, sometimes only turn right, and the autopilot would turn itself on and off. Checking my electrical connections didn't change anything. It was still under warranty so I brought it to the only certified dealer in my area. After 2 1/2 weeks he called. It was the circuit/compass board that had become loose and then broke. Runs fine now.

All I can tell you is that on mine if it gets to wet things quit working right. When it is raining I sit at the console and try to keep it out of the rain.

I took it to the Minn Kota service man in the area. he tested the control pad and said it was fine that it must be the motor. I sandblasted the plug at work and brought it home and it worked just fine. Hard to figure?