• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Watab Trout

caught a limit on Sunday, anyone else get out there? GULP red worms with a pink jighead seems to be the hot bait.

I was out on Tuesday and caught two in about 40 feet of water. I was using a plain red hook with a crawler tipped with corn. This was my first time ever going after the traut so catching two was still a lot of fun and even better when I got home and grilled them!

Specifically what kind of jig and gulp? At what depth have you been having luck? Any info would be a great help I'm a rookie at this. Thanks

i was in 50 feet of water, my buddy was down 35 feet and i was at about 24 under the bobber. I just tried that GULP and i don't have the jar here but they are plain looking angle worms, kind or red in color. one of the fish i cleaned had some green GULP maggots in it's stomach so someone else was using some apparently. Seemed the 1/16 ounce plain pink jig-head worked good. I was gullible enough to but some "corn dip" and some stuff that looked like marshmellows but it didn't do much. Make sure to jig up and down or twitch your lure often.

Thanks Catman. Thats interesting that you found gulp in the stomach. I was slip bobbering them, were you jigging? I was all the way across the lake in the furthest most bay I'm I close? The whole lake is deep and I've heard the lakers are always moving around so it would be nice to know a general location.

I use the slip bobbers and slowly reel it in with some jigging and twitches along the way, it seems the more it moves, the better. The corner of the lake as far from the access as you can get is generally good. A few hundred yards before you get there, there is a hump that borders some 80 foot water. Look for fish on the graph but I actually think it doesn't really matter where you are. I see them surfacing all over. I usually get out there at 4:30 or 5 am, and I'm not usually the first one out, early is better. Not to early tho, can only fish them 1 hour before sunrise on designated trout lakes. Might try this weekend, 4:30am is a good way to avoid the holiday crowds and the "pleasant noise of the jetskis.

Is this Big Watab or Little Watab? I'm trying to look it up on the DNR website as I am thinking of trying it out on Saturday afternoon

RB

that would be Big Watab. There are only 12 spots at the landing and they fill up fast, and there are "No Parking" signs a quarter mile each way on the main road, so unless you get lucky, be prepared to walk a ways. When I get off the water at 8:30 am most weekends it is full already and this weekend should be worse. it sees a lot of recreational boaters so if you want to put the odds for trout in your favor, get there early.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has tried using Lead Core line to troll for trout on watab instead of downriggers.. Also if you have how many "colors" do you recomend using and is there any secrets to know. thanks alot.

Anybody been out there recently? How's the trout bite in this hot weather?

was out last night but didn't have the luck we did a couple weeks ago when we fished during the middle of the day in about 80 degree, sunny and calm weather...instead tried fishing the evening which was a bad choice although it was a nice night to be out...ended up swimming after realizing nothing was biting.

SA

Great lake to fish. Very clean. We have had some luck with just a plain hook and a crawler with a little bit of powerbait rolled up on the end. Good tips everyone!!!