• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone have any good tips for fishing Lake Trout in the BWCA? I have never done it before, but I will be going up there in a month and I want to try it out. The lake I will be fishing is called Holt Lake. It is a little over 100 acres, has 2- 75' deep holes, and 3 or 4 streams coming in and out.
I will have no electronics with, so I can only find depths with a lakemap.

Any infor would be appreciated, thanks.

RickyP

Ricky P,
Just looked at the lake on the DNR website, I would consider trying a couple of things. It loks like there is a pretty good drop off on the west side of the island into the 73' hole, you might want to trying using your canoe to drop a cicso off in deeper water and then freespooling until your on-shore (This is "inactive" fishing but productive) then wait for a trout to take it. You may want to tie a small piece of string on your line near the tip so you can tell if its running.
If water temps are still cool, try pulling a rapala/small spoon along the shore line in morning and evenings. Or you can try taking a couple of bucktail jigs (white or glow or yellow have been best for me)and salted shiners and jig the drop-off areas. Start by jigging just off bottom a couple of feet and work up in about 5' intervals, lakers will suspend at different depths and will come up a long way to smack a bait.
Just a couple things to try, good luck.
Xplorer

Thanks for the tips Xplorer. I am really excited to catch my first Lake Trout. I will be there for 5 days, so I am going to try every possible technique I can. I will report back in month.

another method i've used is to rig up a slip bobber system (large bobber, cisco threaded tru the mouth out the anus then tie around the tail (hook on mouth side of cisco loop for line at tail)) set at about 20'+ or - depth. now just cast out from shore. waves may bring it towards shore until it hits bottom that's ok - in colder water the trout will be there and so will some nice northerns as a bonus. I like to do this from the camp site. you enjoy both worlds camp fire and fishing and a cocktail for kickers. good luck. <*)))>=<