• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Talked to a friend of mine was off park Point by the the old school about one(1) block off shore using boards in two hours 2 10lb lakers, and a 5lb before the big waves kicked them off

Loadmaster,
Where is the old school, is that the building past the beachhouse aways? I am thinking of playing hooky tomorrow and trying along the point if this wind will let off a bit. Any idea what colors were hot? A couple of years ago I got a 14# laker on an orange jointed rap in about 7 feet of water just north of the beachhouse, man what a battle as I was by myself!! Thanks for any info.
Will post if i get out, this weather has just gotta get better!!!!!
Xplorer

to far down the point, the old school and rec center is only about 1 mi??? past the dridge, You can not miss it I guess they have some type of tepee on the beach for a bon-fire. Wrong!!The school is about have way down the point Sorry They got them on green colored spoons did not see them thats the best I can do for ya Good luck and keep us posted I was thinking maybe Sun if the wind hold out and I can get the snow off the boat

Hey Loadmaster,
Thanks for the info, I think I know where you're talking about. Thats about where i usually start my first troll going south. I have very limited spoons but will give the green bombers a try (its clearing out right now, will probably be cool but if the wind dies down I'm goin smile.gif
Will post results tomorrow pm.
I will also be out sunday am, weather permitting. Sounds like possible snow flurries saturday night and cool but hey, the fihs cant tell too much
Good luck if your out.
Xplorer

Was out this morning from 9-12:30, along park point. Fished 8-18 ft of water, no fish in the boat, lost one and had one other release but that was it. Both hits came on a clown husky jerk. Water was cold, 34/35 but it was clear down to about 3.5 miles south from the Duluth entry. Did see one large laker next to my boat in about 8 ft of water as I passed over. Talked to 4 other guys noone had anything, but one said he had caught some browns on monday morning.
Fished mainly bombers, green, purple, orange/gold, watermelon & clown.
Will try again sunday if decent weather. Xplorer

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

xplorer I would try a little deeper then 8-18 during the day now 4-26 . If you can get your hands on a thermometer with at least a fifty ft. lead will really pay off when trolling the point now. Surface temp my be in mid to higher 30's but down deeper will be warmer exspecaly if your playin the wind. Look for warm days blowin water into the point then get close. You may already know this but things will change day to day.

Was at the end of the point last night smelting and seen some guys land at least five lakers while fishing from shore. All between 3-5#, 9:30-11:30. Not sure what they were using for bait but they were just letting it sit there. Is it legal to use freshly caught smelt?????? If not what would you have to do with them????

Good Luck To All !!!!!!

I dont know why you could not use freash smelt just like seiening for minnows. I have seen those guys also only by the tot lot. What these guys were doing was wadding out as far they could and sink an aluminum step ladder in the boottom and stand on that and cast out some lead with smelt on a bare hook then open the bail, and walk into shore and drink beer and sit in a lawn chair the couple if times I saw them the caught fish

Hey ST,
Ya, I was thinking i should have maybe gone deeper as I was heading in, got stuck in the "do what the other guys are doing" routine. Most other boats were actually fishing shallower than me, probably 5-8'. Maybe the sun sent them deeper, the wind was blowing straight down the point from north to south, tried the mudline but just wasnt my morning. Felt good to run the boat and try out the new boards. Hope to get out one evening later this week.
Xplorer

Looks like a guy might do OK for lakers wading out after dark and casting spoons into the smelt if the lakers are in after the smelt.

Was out Tues morning, slow three fish on lost them all. was all the way at the end by the Sup. entry on the Duluth side of rock peir, water temp was around 40-41 degress in 17 feet of water Good Luck